Patterns for early December Fall and Crooked

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Jeff's latest report from The Flyfisher Place in Sisters:

The Fall River is the other place I would say is going to be great for the rest of the year too. It is getting a great afternoon BWO hatch (#18-20) and these fish really require a lot of fly changes, focusing an awful lot on the emergers and cripples (RS2, Film Critic, Sprout, Sparkle Dun, Knock Down Dun) and on duns (Comparadun, Parachute, CDC Upright BWO, Smoke Jumper).
Midges and Caddis are overlooked sometimes because they are not as easy to see, but a #20-22 Black Midge Winkler, Mother Shucker, G-Gnat, Century Drive Midge and Palomino are great.
On the Caddis side, that Silvey’s Edible Emerger and an Orange or Yellow Missing Link are 2 of my favorites for the Fall.
Nymphs and Streamers and Egg are catching a whole bunch of fish on the Fall now.
I wanted to remind folks that the Fall River is BARBLESS ONLY, as I have been out there quite a bit the last few weeks and keep catching fish that have been broken off and have a barbed hook in their lip. I also had a client catch a fish on a small BWO dry fly and in the net the trout coughed up a Rubber Crappie Jig on a giant barbed red hook. C’mon people, we play by the rules and nothing else. Don’t do illegal things to catch fish. We are pretty sure we say the guy that was using the Crappie Jig and he looked like a “normal” fly angler….

The Crooked is up to 100 cfs and hopefully will remain there for fish conservation throughout the fall and winter. This is a great flow for fishing and the fish are happy now, eating all they can on BWO hatches and Midge Hatches. Small Purple Haze and Comparaduns are good because you can see them well in the white foam lines and dirtier water, but having more exacting BWO’s will serve you well on some days.
Small Perdigons, Scuds, Zebra Midges, Winklers, 2 Bits and Skinny Nelsons are quite good either fished tight under a sighter, or dead drift behind a NZ Wool Indicator.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I fished the Fall last fall (no pun intended)…it’s a tough fishery. We had success on 16-18 soft hackles on long leaders and small tippet…

Kado

Steelhead
Jeff's latest report from The Flyfisher Place in Sisters:

The Fall River is the other place I would say is going to be great for the rest of the year too. It is getting a great afternoon BWO hatch (#18-20) and these fish really require a lot of fly changes, focusing an awful lot on the emergers and cripples (RS2, Film Critic, Sprout, Sparkle Dun, Knock Down Dun) and on duns (Comparadun, Parachute, CDC Upright BWO, Smoke Jumper).
Midges and Caddis are overlooked sometimes because they are not as easy to see, but a #20-22 Black Midge Winkler, Mother Shucker, G-Gnat, Century Drive Midge and Palomino are great.
On the Caddis side, that Silvey’s Edible Emerger and an Orange or Yellow Missing Link are 2 of my favorites for the Fall.
Nymphs and Streamers and Egg are catching a whole bunch of fish on the Fall now.
I wanted to remind folks that the Fall River is BARBLESS ONLY, as I have been out there quite a bit the last few weeks and keep catching fish that have been broken off and have a barbed hook in their lip. I also had a client catch a fish on a small BWO dry fly and in the net the trout coughed up a Rubber Crappie Jig on a giant barbed red hook. C’mon people, we play by the rules and nothing else. Don’t do illegal things to catch fish. We are pretty sure we say the guy that was using the Crappie Jig and he looked like a “normal” fly angler….

The Crooked is up to 100 cfs and hopefully will remain there for fish conservation throughout the fall and winter. This is a great flow for fishing and the fish are happy now, eating all they can on BWO hatches and Midge Hatches. Small Purple Haze and Comparaduns are good because you can see them well in the white foam lines and dirtier water, but having more exacting BWO’s will serve you well on some days.
Small Perdigons, Scuds, Zebra Midges, Winklers, 2 Bits and Skinny Nelsons are quite good either fished tight under a sighter, or dead drift behind a NZ Wool Indicator.
So I'm thinking of trying small midge dries behind a dry fly indicator.....
I had tied up several size 12 CDC elk hair style caddis with a hi vis wing. Does this sound about right? Maybe a Royal Coachman or Para Adams instead as an indicator? I'm pretty confident I won't be able to see that little midge dry unless I have the larger fly out there.
Thanks,
Mark

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
So I'm thinking of trying small midge dries behind a dry fly indicator.....
I had tied up several size 12 CDC elk hair style caddis with a hi vis wing. Does this sound about right? Maybe a Royal Coachman or Para Adams instead as an indicator? I'm pretty confident I won't be able to see that little midge dry unless I have the larger fly out there.
Thanks,
Mark
absolutely - on the Para suggest an Orange 'stub', which is what I use on our local Fall River, easy to spot that micro dip

Last edited:

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Small eggs, tiny jigged black leech,
Zebra midge, scuds

Small bwo Emerger/cripple... I like IOBO Humpy,

Be prepared for close combat at times