Pass Lake, still closed

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I see on the other forum where DOH sampled Pass Lake the other day: "438 ug microparticles per liter on the November 21st sample", up from 31 ug on the previous sampling. Going to be awhile. It's likely/possible? the sample collected was from the scum blown into the launch area rather than a more representative sample from mid-lake (according to the author of the post I copied the quote from).

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanksgiving weekend, the lake had a definite green tint to it as we drove by. Didn’t check the launch area.

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
For your viewing pleasure.
That microcystin is some nasty shit.
It is the primary toxin causing the closure.
Nothing to fool around with for those that might be tempted to fish in spite of the closure. I doubt any of our members are that ignorant but one never knows.
Screenshot_20221201-112627_Chrome.jpg

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I see on the other forum where DOH sampled Pass Lake the other day: "438 ug microparticles per liter on the November 21st sample", up from 31 ug on the previous sampling. Going to be awhile. It's likely/possible? the sample collected was from the scum blown into the launch area rather than a more representative sample from mid-lake (according to the author of the post I copied the quote from).
It looks like on the website they're recording that the sample location is "boat ramp"
....bummer deal.

Here's the link in case anyone wants to browse:

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
The parking lot/culvert is repaired. i drove past Monday and was surprised to see the fencing gone and the lot open.

….and here I was pretty certain the toxin levels would coincide with lot repairs ;)

Last edited:

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Other forum? I thought you all had herded them all over here?

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter
The parking lot/culvert is repaired. i drove past Monday and was surprised to see the fencing gone and the lot open.

….and here I was pretty certain the toxin levels would coincide with lot repairs ;)
I was surprised it jumped back up to 438 from the low reading on 11/7.

M_D

Top Notch Mediocre Flyfisher
Forum Supporter
I was surprised it jumped back up to 438 from the low reading on 11/7.
No kidding. What's the cause? Anyone know?

I'm obviously no microbiologist and kinda figured the cold weather would've shut the algae done as in years past.

Is it a fertilizer thing? Road runoff? Bad drain field? (but from where since there's only one adjacent house.)

That said, when I drove past on Monday, the water didn't look all that milky so I convinced myself to return another day and give it a go...thinking what's the worst that could happen? and then I read your other post....nothing like some diarrhea or kidney failure for the holidays :unsure:😉
For your viewing pleasure.
That microcystin is some nasty shit.
It is the primary toxin causing the closure.
Nothing to fool around with for those that might be tempted to fish in spite of the closure. I doubt any of our members are that ignorant but one never knows.
View attachment 43404

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter

I'm obviously no microbiologist and kinda figured the cold weather would've shut the algae done as in years past.

Is it a fertilizer thing? Road runoff? Bad drain field? (but from where since there's only one adjacent house.)

That said, when I drove past on Monday, the water didn't look all that milky so I convinced myself to return another day and give it a go...thinking what's the worst that could happen? and then I read your other post....nothing like some diarrhea or kidney failure for the holidays :unsure:😉
If I had to guess, I'd think wind would play into the equation. Maybe the 11/7 sample was a day where the wind was blowing away from the boat ramp. And maybe the most recent sample was a day with wind blowing toward the boat ramp.

Just guessing though.

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
If I had to guess, I'd think wind would play into the equation. Maybe the 11/7 sample was a day where the wind was blowing away from the boat ramp. And maybe the most recent sample was a day with wind blowing toward the boat ramp.

Just guessing though.
Glass is half empty reponse to follow: The guy who collected the sample deliberately collected it from a wind blown scum line that didn't (and does not) represent conditions of the lake.

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Glass is half empty reponse to follow: The guy who collected the sample deliberately collected it from a wind blown scum line that didn't (and does not) represent conditions of the lake.
There's that too. Reading the sample locations on the website it does kind of sound like they could be trying to sample from wherever will read the highest. Maybe that's them being overly conservative and wanting worse case sample representation? Safety first? 🤷‍♂️

Wanative

Spawned out Chum
Forum Supporter

Mike, I googled microcystin. There is a ton of info, research etc. Wikipedia has a page about it. Phosphorus fertilizer, stagnant water can exacerbate the growth.

Last edited:
Reactions: M_D

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Mike, I googled microcystin. There is a ton in info, research etc. Wikipedia has a page about it. Phosphorus fertilizer, stagnant water can exacerbate the growth.
Interesting web page. One thing caught my eye: “In 2011, a record outbreak of blooming microcystis occurred in Lake Erie, in part related to the wettest spring on record, and expanded lake bottom dead zones, reduced fish populations, fouled beaches, and damaged the local tourism industry, which generates more than $10 billion in revenue annually.[1]”. Not sure about Western Washington, but Eastern Washington had a very wet spring. Could that have contributed? Hopefully the factors contributing to the persistence of the algae will dissipate and the lake can open again.

Ceviche

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Mike, I googled microcystin. There is a ton of info, research etc. Wikipedia has a page about it. Phosphorus fertilizer, stagnant water can exacerbate the growth.
I wonder if that outhouse might be leeching off through the soil and into the lake. Should not be happening, but it’s the closest source of “fertilizer” that I can think of.

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
I wonder if that outhouse might be leeching off through the soil and into the lake. Should not be happening, but it’s the closest source of “fertilizer” that I can think of.
But it is interesting - I almost made an entire joke about "the curse" which woulda been marked by the tearing down of the old one and this one going up in its place. Dave, your point makes me think of the outlet channel which would run either directly underneath or extremely close to the current outhouse 🤔

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
But it is interesting - I almost made an entire joke about "the curse" which woulda been marked by the tearing down of the old one and this one going up in its place. Dave, your point makes me think of the outlet channel which would run either directly underneath or extremely close to the current outhouse 🤔
The holding tank is concrete. Maybe it is cracked. Also, if it's the outlet we're talking about, wouldn't that be downstream of the lake?

Tim L

Stillwater Strategist
Forum Supporter
The holding tank is concrete. Maybe it is cracked. Also, if it's the outlet we're talking about, wouldn't that be downstream of the lake?
Good point. I thought of that too but it's all the same given the soil, sinkhole situation, etc. (to me the sinkhole alone is extemely volatile and could make anything happen around it). I'm no environmental engineer but guess I've seen plenty in commercial banking - we're the sorry suckers holding the $ bag when a lot of that stuff happens...speaking of, I had a front row seat when the Olympic PL debacle happened. This made me think of that, the impossible is always possible when enough moving parts come together, and that parking lot has a lot going on in a very small space. All that said, I really really want to be dead wrong...I obviously like that lake as much as anyone, even from afar. Still hit it every year and it fishes great as ever.

Last edited:

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I might get chastised here but figured some folks might appreciate a report. I fished it and am still alive and well. Protected by nitrile gloves of course ;)
Although no way a correlation with safety, water clarity was pretty good and is typical of the lake. I didn't observe any scum line or slick, no macro algae chunks. Fishing was decent, lots of 16" bows and very healthy.

PXL_20221203_170837259.jpg
PXL_20221203_173212077.jpg