Opening day in the Basin with Dad

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
I took my dad to an opening day lake on Sunday. I try to get him out a few times a year. He’s slowing down and doesn’t manage the logistics of getting out on his own anymore.

As expected, the easily accessible areas were busy. But not many brought a boat! Once we were out on the lake we had the run of the place. As I had hoped, we got into fish right away trolling leeches.
6CB1945C-A81A-400D-AD64-47ADECEB78EC.jpeg
Most fish were the usual opening day sized rainbows, 10-12” that jumped a lot. But there were some carryovers mixed in.
930985F5-4AF8-4AA3-98C0-F807423F69ED.jpeg
When the W picked up we found a relatively sheltered area with some good structure to fish. I anchored up and broke out the bobber rigs. Not many bugs were showing but with 50 degree water temperature I was confident we would find fish cruising the edges in 6-8’ with a good wind chop. We didn’t have to soak our bugs too long.
2A3F13FF-1319-4DA1-92CC-CD2D7BF3E727.jpeg
A good flurry lasted from around 11-1 and we managed a few doubles.
0F20D379-ECF3-4450-AE15-E6D1FBDF0947.jpeg

My dad hooked two good fish trolling back to the boat launch. A good day with Dad!

Shawn Seeger

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great post! It is really a special day to be able to go fishing with your your Dad. I cherished my days this year!

(PS does this happen to be the lake we shared a couple Sept ago?)

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Great report! I took my dad down the Deschutes with my brother-in-law on our annual trip into his mid 80s. Many great memories! Even when he couldn’t fish long days he enjoyed our time on the river. He passed away last October at 92.