Once more to the pond

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 3.44.19 PM.png
Greg Armstong and I took our annual may bamboo trip to this cascade foothills cutthroat pond. Greg fished a Granger 8040 5 weight. I fished a Phillipson 8'6" 5 weight. A Phillipson, Farlows Grenaby reel, Cortland Camo line, some scottish wet flies and a Filson waxed cotton fishing jacket. Old things are good things.
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 3.42.56 PM.png
Greg found fish stripping a silver march brown tail fly and and olive and mallard dropper against the bank. I found fish stripping a Peter Ross on the tail and an olive and mallard wet fly on the dropper. White stomachs, green sides, dark spots and bright slash marks under the jaw.
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 3.48.02 PM.png
After lunch I wandered off to find another pond on a hunch. A glimmer of water through the woods and then I saw a fish jump. There are some secret places still.
Screenshot 2023-05-27 at 3.55.00 PM.png

Last edited:

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
I needed it too!

Dave failed to mention that once again, he out fished me 😂!
I caught a few, but it was the kind of outing that would have been outstanding even if I had gotten skunked... great springtime weather, good company, and beautifully colored jewel-like native wild Coastal Cutthroats... it doesn't get much better!