Norman Maclean's bamboo

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
A River Runs Through It by Norman Maclean is one of my favorite books. In Home Waters, Norman Maclean's son John writes that Norman won a Granger Champion 9050 bamboo rod in a radio contest. The Champion was his prized rod for evening dry fly work. After Norman died his son John left the rod in a damp footlocker at the Maclean's cabin and the butt section turned black and soft. Maclean sent the rod to the Orvis company of all people and they refinished the rod and advised him not to fish it any more.

Some more bamboo trivia. Reverend Maclean (Norman's father) fished an HL Leonard.

A Granger Champion 9050 was the first bamboo rod I purchased. See pictures below. Enjoyed everything about it except the sliding band reel seat which had a way of falling off sometimes while I was fighting a fish so I sold it. I also have way too many 9' bamboo fly rods. :)

01B043AE-8FD9-42DC-9041-E185FAECD0F1_1_105_c.jpeg
5A6ECA38-85ED-4496-9211-12C5289FA993_1_105_c.jpeg
661D32CD-D648-4D86-8D9B-D5FC97A46D69_1_105_c.jpeg
Screen Shot 2022-11-24 at 4.46.51 PM.png

Last edited:

Chris M

Steelhead
I have a 1946 Wright/ McGill Granger Champion 9050 that came to me from an uncle’s estate several years ago. I rewrapped one guide and refinished it and now I fish it on a regular bases. I reach for the Champion more than I do my Aristocrat or Special. I never knew that uncle to fish so sometimes I wonder if it had belonged to my grandfather. My parents and all the aunts and uncles are gone now so I’ll never know for sure. I recently watched the movie again and maybe for the first time thought it was more about family and boys growing to men than fly fishing. The struggles families face today don’t seem that much different then those from a time we all would like to think was simpler. But the soothing pleasures of fishing are undeniable. The opening and closing scenes of Norman tying on a fly, that’s the knot my father taught me some 52 years ago. Great pictures Dave.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I have a 1946 Wright/ McGill Granger Champion 9050 that came to me from an uncle’s estate several years ago. I rewrapped one guide and refinished it and now I fish it on a regular bases. I reach for the Champion more than I do my Aristocrat or Special. I never knew that uncle to fish so sometimes I wonder if it had belonged to my grandfather. My parents and all the aunts and uncles are gone now so I’ll never know for sure. I recently watched the movie again and maybe for the first time thought it was more about family and boys growing to men than fly fishing. The struggles families face today don’t seem that much different then those from a time we all would like to think was simpler. But the soothing pleasures of fishing are undeniable. The opening and closing scenes of Norman tying on a fly, that’s the knot my father taught me some 52 years ago. Great pictures Dave.
Big fan of the Wright and McGill Granger 9 footers. I still have a 9050 Wright and McGill Granger Victory which I fish on lowland lakes and in BC...

233E403E-0438-450F-B96A-F2A1B4670422_1_105_c.jpeg
09E4F339-F0FD-4FF2-8B4A-448B23F7B300_1_105_c.jpeg

2997C287-B284-41AA-A015-12BCC6897D93_1_105_c.jpeg
as well as a 9' Wright and McGill waterseal which I fish in the salt and used to catch dinner on an Alaska's Lake Eva last spring...

EF959A53-4B2E-4914-B3DF-5AC6B22D5E1B_1_105_c.jpeg

Have read River Runs Through It several times and saw the movie 5 times when it came out. John Maclean's Home Waters is a great book. He gives the back story of the relationship between Norman MacLean and his brother which formed the basis for Norman's novel and the movie. John Maclean also wrote a good book called The Thirty Mile Fire about the young forest fire crew which died fighting the 30 mile fire outside Winthrop in July 2001.