Nice mail Day

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I put it together and it’s feels awesome not sure if a 4 or 5 will make it sing but Mark makes amazing rods. I will cast it tomorrow and see what is the right line for the rod.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
On the tube label I spotted the name Charles Demarest indicating that your rod was made from Demarest cane. For many many decades the Demarest family was by far the largest supplier of rod making cane throughout both the US and Europe and beyond.
There is a lot more to be said about that and Jeff Wagner does a good job of it here.
wagnerrods.com/demarest.html

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I put it together and it’s feels awesome not sure if a 4 or 5 will make it sing but Mark makes amazing rods. I will cast it tomorrow and see what is the right line for the rod.
I'll be curious to hear which line your new rod enjoys casting. Do you know the ferrule sizes (16/10?), rod weight and if the rod is hollow or solid built? Those details usually give me a strong indication of line weight, at least for starters.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I haven’t cast it yet due to working on my own rods. Not sure about the rod weight or if it’s hollow built. It has a nice swell on the butt section and I will mic the ferrules. I do know that the ferrules fit perfectly and it’s made with components from old stock. When you look at his rods they have the look of being built along time ago which I like. I will try to take some better pics and show more details. I brought one of two of his rods to the fling this spring and the comments were that the 4 wght was fast if that helps. The 6 wght I have is a gem and my favorite rod for cutts and steelhead.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
He also built this off of a Edwards rod that Syd Glasso used to use for Cutthroat fishing on the coast. And as I learn more about rod building this rod tracks perfectly and does not over dampen which I suspect I could be hollowed. But as I have also learned is not to dig to much into how each builder makes there rods or design there tapers.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
He also built this off of a Edwards rod that Syd Glasso used to use for Cutthroat fishing on the coast. And as I learn more about rod building this rod tracks perfectly and does not over dampen which I suspect I could be hollowed. But as I have also learned is not to dig to much into how each builder makes there rods or design there tapers.
From what little experience I have with them, Edwards' tapers are wonderful. I've cast and fished Edwards, Thomas, Payne (clone, not real) and Leonards. All the big pioneers...And my favorites have been the Edwards which were particularly smooth, and the Paynes which have been smooth but with a tad more spunk, if that makes any sense. Of course, each builder made a multitude of tapers I'd guess, so my very limited experience is probably not worth projecting onto other rods. But that said, seeing "Edwards" on that rod tube made me assume it would be a really pleasant rod to cast. A nod to the true classics.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
From what little experience I have with them, Edwards' tapers are wonderful. I've cast and fished Edwards, Thomas, Payne (clone, not real) and Leonards. All the big pioneers...And my favorites have been the Edwards which were particularly smooth, and the Paynes which have been smooth but with a tad more spunk, if that makes any sense. Of course, each builder made a multitude of tapers I'd guess, so my very limited experience is probably not worth projecting onto other rods. But that said, seeing "Edwards" on that rod tube made me assume it would be a really pleasant rod to cast. A nod to the true classics.
Looking at that tube label again, its says the rod is a progressive taper in the style of ?Leonard/Edwards/Payne. IMO, that's what a great bamboo rod should be. Please bring it to the next bamboo gathering, I'd love to cast it!

Kado

Steelhead
What does ‘over dampen’ mean. Don’t you want it to not oscillate as much? I’m still very new to rod building also. Thanks,
Mark

Denwor54

Life of the Party
I’m not sure how to describe the term over dampen. I have cast a lot of different bamboo rods and how the rods tracks on the back cast and forward cast is how I judge a rods performance. It’s very easy to see on the forward delivery of the line will dip downward and this is very pronounced on two handers. The red willow rods track very well and are quick to recover which for me is what I prefer. Having built both 6 sided and 5 sided rods and the 6 sided rods are slower and more sensitive to tracking. So it’s a balance that I haven’t fully figured out but I know what performs best for me on the water. Like yourself Kado this is work in process and I’m trying to get a taper that meets my needs for fishing. When I built my first spey rods I played around with quite a few lines and found that rods cast well and tracked well but to heavy in the tip section. My most recent spey rod I made adjustments to the mid and tip sections and ended up with a better feel and still didn’t lose tracking. I did this by scalloping the mid and tip section and suspect that If built it sold it would had not have tracked as well. Hopefully this makes some sense and I’m sure the guys on here that can provide more insight.