Nice day on the river

I had a free day today. I didn't want to try another wetside lake and I didn't feel like the salt. The weather and flows looked pretty darn good for a certain river that I enjoy fishing this time of year. I haven't fished it in February in quite a few years.
And the plan was to single-hand spey (skagit) as much as possible since the tug is, in fact, the drug.

They didn't like a Spruce Fly and they didn't like a new orange headed black McNasty I tied this week, but a few did like a big black & gold bugger. The flloat was enjoyable and the fellow anglers (and guides) were all super friendly today. That's not always the case on this river, but today was great. Shoutout to 2 guides especially that really were courteous and actually friendly. One of the guides got a high school girl a 21" fish! Her proud papa showed me pics. It was a toad.

None of mine were 21, but I did get one that was 17" that put on a show. Another of 14" that was just gorgeous and another one just a bit shorter, but probably heavier. They were all incredibly healthy fish. So good to see. And, of course, the first fish hooked of the day was a pig, but it came off after 10 seconds of head shaking.

The guides were getting fish with nymphs & worms (not the Folgers type), but I just didn't have it in me today. The nymph rod never came out. I wanted to swing and if the BWOs came out then do that. They really didn't come out. I saw 2 fish rise and that was it all day. So besides 20 minutes with the 4wt and #16 BWOs it was swinging the 5wt single.

Anyway, here's some pics.

20240224_113621.jpg

The colors on this one were crazy.

20240224_114458.jpg

And I've always thought canyons look cool in black & white. Especially in the winter.
20240224_092833.jpg