New vest and river knife

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
Good choices. Thanks for reminding me to replace my aged MTI.

Head over to the Good Deal Boat thread and check out the 9.5 ft Don Hill pram for $1100..

Kado

Steelhead
I also have both. I kayak a lot on the sound. The knife can rust quickly without proper care ... I'm sure you'll do better than I did though.

flybill

Life of the Party
I also have both. I kayak a lot on the sound. The knife can rust quickly without proper care ... I'm sure you'll do better than I did though.
Honestly, I didn't really think of that, but will make sure to take care of it.

I used to have a 14' sit on top kayak, but don't anymore, so this is more of a freshwater thing for me.

I do love the idea of foot powered kayaks, but will start with a small raft or pram first. I'm leaning towards a pram, as I like the idea on sitting up comfortably while fishing a lake or potentially the sound.

Last edited:

Josh

Dead in the water
Staff member
Admin
I admit I do not use mine in the salt. But I haven’t had rusting issues with mine in freshwater environments.

Sad to say, I think we have to splash out for nicer stainless salt specific knives if we want better rust protection for boating in the sound.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've had a few close calls while floating before so came across a deal on the NRS site that I couldn't pass up..

Now I just need to find a nice small raft or pram! Can't be too safe out there.View attachment 86207View attachment 86208
I have both of those. Great vest for Stillwater fishing. For trips on the Deschutes in my drift boat, I have one of their whitewater vests with the knife attached. When the boat or tube is afloat, the vest is on.

flybill

Life of the Party
I have both of those. Great vest for Stillwater fishing. For trips on the Deschutes in my drift boat, I have one of their whitewater vests with the knife attached. When the boat or tube is afloat, the vest is on.
I had a close call on the Yakima years ago, in a watermaster, at the East Cle Elum launch.. or take out in my case. I didn't panic and everything was all good, but it could have been bad!

Can't be too careful out there on the water!