New Access on the Sol Duc

Treefrog

Just Hatched
I heard a rumor there is a new access across the river from Whitcomb-Dimmel. Is this accurate?

Dan

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
Yes, it is just around the corner from the former W-D site, but on river right. Easily accessed from Hwy 101. There is even a new green "Public Fishing" sign on the highway.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Last I checked, WD was still where the boat launch was. I can't see the new access replacing that function.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I always kind of enjoyed the swamp ride out of the old ramp out to the road. Nothing beats a mud car wash.😉
SF

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
I always kind of enjoyed the swamp ride out of the old ramp out to the road. Nothing beats a mud car wash.😉
SF
Well, you can still get that at G&L on the Hoh or Richwine on the Quill. You may even get a bonus of sliding into the river on the latter as the road to the bar has gotten so shitty.

Cottonwood is now a river crossing to a giant log pile maze that you have to navigate to find the river. Barlows is waaay over to what used to be river left and Leyendecker is a nasty muddy swamp unless water levels are up.

Always scout your launch/takeout as shit changes every season.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thanks for the update Thomas! I'm happy to hear there's a better option.
Sure thing. It was kind of a mess until they got it opened. I was worried someone wouldn't know and would end up having to keep going down to Rayonier (and through the double rapid) in the dark.

doublespey

Let.It.Swing
Forum Supporter
Maxwell to WD was/is the easiest float on the Duc. That old launch was a pit, but I used it as a takeout for many years cause that was the float I was most familiar with. A buddy decided to float the Bear Creek to hatchery run on a whim in a leaky Army surplus raft back in the day - that day left me questioning the truth of "What Doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and renewed my respect for that river. Don't *uck with the Duc. ;)

Rob Allen

Life of the Party
Yes, it is just around the corner from the former W-D site, but on river right. Easily accessed from Hwy 101. There is even a new green "Public Fishing" sign on the highway.

Is there good water nearby?

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Maxwell to WD was/is the easiest float on the Duc. That old launch was a pit, but I used it as a takeout for many years cause that was the float I was most familiar with. A buddy decided to float the Bear Creek to hatchery run on a whim in a leaky Army surplus raft back in the day - that day left me questioning the truth of "What Doesn't kill you makes you stronger" and renewed my respect for that river. Don't *uck with the Duc. ;)
Agreed 100%^^

The Bear Creek rapid is really scary and I won't row that beat. Hatchery to Maxfield is my house water which has my second to least favorite rapid known locally as "Oh Shit Corner" but luckily there is a walk around, the "Chicken Channel" that I fully endorse whenever possible.

HauntedByWaters

Life of the Party
Agreed 100%^^

The Bear Creek rapid is really scary and I won't row that beat. Hatchery to Maxfield is my house water which has my second to least favorite rapid known locally as "Oh Shit Corner" but luckily there is a walk around, the "Chicken Channel" that I fully endorse whenever possible.

The “Chicken Channel”….LOL….I know that spot…;)

Treefrog

Just Hatched
Thank you for all the information about W-D access. Is there a relocation of the Leyendecker boat ramp?

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Thank you for all the information about W-D access. Is there a relocation of the Leyendecker boat ramp?
Nope. When the water is up, it's OK. When it's low, it's a muddy drag although some are winching their boats up through the unimproved slot near where the Sol Duc hits the confluence.

It's worst in low summer/fall flows when the ocean guys dump carcasses off the Sol Duc bridge and they get sucked into the back eddy by the launch. The nasty mud turns into rotten fish carcass stinking mud. It's really bad.

As the Bogachiel continues to push away from the launch side, it's going to get worse. Not sure what the state will need to do, probably improve the slot mentioned above. Previously, you could do a rough launch by the bridge just up the Bogachiel but the November 2021 floods destroyed that access too.

LBL

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
did the state lease that whole campground?
I don’t think so. I contacted the guy who owns the CG a few months ago to inquire about the launch. I had been hearing about the possibility of the state acquiring a launch. He was super nice and wrote back right away. I contacted him through the CG website