My 2023 Florida Inshore Flats Box

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Am about 30 days out from our annual trip to FL. Get to fish everyday for three weeks (baring bad weather) with my kayak on Tampa and Sarasota Bay grass flats for Speckled Trout, Redfish, Ladyfish, Spanish Mackerel, Bluefish, Jacks and Pompano. Going to have some great morning low tides during the trip so wade fishing along deep channels and potholes should produce decent catches everyday. Although there are dozens of patterns that work in this scenario, my primary fly box is made up of just five patterns. Unweighted Gartside Soft Hackle streamers and Myakka Minnows are proven producers on long sink tips and short, stout leaders. The thunk strike of a speckled trout is unmistakable. I’ve tied a lot of these on the new Firehole Predator series barbless hooks so it will be interesting to see how they perform. Gurglers, Shrimp Gurglers and Crease Flies are my top water choice. I always encounter a fair number of bite offs (sharks, bluefish and mackerel) every day so this box will get replenished every evening (There are at least a gross of similar flies stashed in backup boxes I’ll take down to FL).
IMG_0829.jpegIMG_0830.jpegIMG_0831.jpeg

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Look forward to your trip report. Very interested in it. I will be down there unfortunately in mid June and on the Atlantic side. As of now it will be the Vero Beach area. This past Summer I was at AnnaMarie Island and it looked very fishy. Wish I was going back there.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Nice! Hope you have a great time and looking forward to your report. Do you drive down with your kayak, have one stashed down there, rent one or what?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Look forward to your trip report. Very interested in it. I will be down there unfortunately in mid June and on the Atlantic side. As of now it will be the Vero Beach area. This past Summer I was at AnnaMarie Island and it looked very fishy. Wish I was going back there.
Indeed the expanse of deep grass peppered with potholes and criss-crossed by manmade and natural channels from Terra Verde south to Siesta Key with strong tides is massive. Unfortunately, public access from Anna Maria Island is limited but really good up in Pinellas county and south along Longboat and Siesta Keys. Additionally, the waters north and south of the Manatee River mouth are also loaded with productive deep grass and potholes. Way too much water to cover—where to fish is always a challenge.

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! Hope you have a great time and looking forward to your report. Do you drive down with your kayak, have one stashed down there, rent one or what?
Back in 2017 I acquired a new Eddyline Carribean 12 Angler in Clearwater and keep it at a nieces house where we stay when down there. Just fly down and rent a P/U for a few weeks and let the ladies do their thing and I just fish. Re renting: On several occasions I’ve met up with friends from Bozeman down there and rent a second kayak from the outfit in Clearwater.

IMG_0068.jpeg