MV Stripah Hunt

Nogz

Smolt
I knew I hadn’t posted in a while but it looks like this is my first one since we moved to the new forum…

The family went east to Martha’s Vineyard and I brought my chartreuse clousers in search of new species. A guy on the plane told me that I didn’t have much of a shot at a striper due to “salinity problems in the Atlantic”, which while bad news was fun to hear from someone with Boston accent.

On the ferry to the island. If you ever complain about the cost of the ferries here, never go east…
IMG_4345.jpeg

My first day on the water had a nice start
IMG_4346.jpeg

I went to a ‘popular’ beach that is all over the internet and it was empty besides a dad and his kid. I fished for about an 90 minutes with no action when two local kids showed up in sweat pants and gear rods. The guy caught a striper on his first cast and his sister caught one on about the tenth cast.

I was muttering to myself until I hooked into one about 10 minutes later. Much different fight from a coho. It never showed itself but man did it pull, worked the drag a couple times.

IMG_4348.jpeg

Nice that catch that basically made the trip on my first day.

I got out for a couple more mornings and was able to hook a shad, which I had to identify when I got home since I had no clue what they looked like. It actually fought like hell for it’s size and had some good jumps

IMG_4358.jpeg

Apparently there were bonitos around the island as well, but I wasn’t able to find any. I was pretty satisfied with the two fish for about 4-5 hours of water time on an away game. And the scenery was incredible.

IMG_4362.jpeg

East Coaster

Steelhead
Nice going! Here in NJ, those hickory shad are called "Jersey tarpon" (though there've been reports of real tarpon being caught occasionally, including one up on Cape Cod recently). Lots of fun to catch, although I haven't found them yet this season.

Wade Rivers

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Stripah!

Good for you sir and thanks for the report.

I fished The Cape of Cod in June and a small pink clouser was irresistible to the shad.