Musky casting

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Exciting I know. Haha! One thing you'll learn if you musky fish long enough- you have to make a LOT of casts. I mean like a LOT of casts. No, I mean... ok, you get it. Well, you won't until you do it, but you get my point. Also very applicable to fishing the sound.

You have to minimize your false casts or you will wear yourself out. Especially since you're casting a 10, 11 or 12wt rod that is casting a 400+ grain fly line and big flies that also often have a lot of wind resistance and/or added weight or both. And you are retrieving those flies to within a foot or 2 of your tip.

Fishing sucked today, but it was calm and I was bored so I shot a little casting action. Flip, flop, back & shoot!

Flip it back to get the leader out the guides.
Flop it forward to get some line out. Ideally, you get all you need out in this step, but that is fairly rare.
Back cast to get ready to shoot. I often let a little more line out during the back cast. It takes some practice, but it's easier with the big lines.
Shoot it! Shooting is an art in itself and every rod/line combo likes to shoot a bit different.

This is 70' out the tip on my Orvis Clearwater 11wt Musky specific rod. Casting an old Wulff TT11F, about 4' of 40lb Max and 16" of 100lb fluoro bite tippet and a weighted 4" perch fly from @Kfish that should have caught a musky by now. Sorry Lou, it's not your fly's fault. ;)

It takes some practice, but once you get it you'll never false cast 3, 4 or 5 times again. I see guys whipping the water like crazy just to get 40 or 50' out. Find a line you can shoot and save your arm.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
Exciting I know. Haha! One thing you'll learn if you musky fish long enough- you have to make a LOT of casts. I mean like a LOT of casts. No, I mean... ok, you get it. Well, you won't until you do it, but you get my point. Also very applicable to fishing the sound.

You have to minimize your false casts or you will wear yourself out. Especially since you're casting a 10, 11 or 12wt rod that is casting a 400+ grain fly line and big flies that also often have a lot of wind resistance and/or added weight or both. And you are retrieving those flies to within a foot or 2 of your tip.

Fishing sucked today, but it was calm and I was bored so I shot a little casting action. Flip, flop, back & shoot!

Flip it back to get the leader out the guides.
Flop it forward to get some line out. Ideally, you get all you need out in this step, but that is fairly rare.
Back cast to get ready to shoot. I often let a little more line out during the back cast. It takes some practice, but it's easier with the big lines.
Shoot it! Shooting is an art in itself and every rod/line combo likes to shoot a bit different.

This is 70' out the tip on my Orvis Clearwater 11wt Musky specific rod. Casting an old Wulff TT11F, about 4' of 40lb Max and 16" of 100lb fluoro bite tippet and a weighted 4" perch fly from @Kfish that should have caught a musky by now. Sorry Lou, it's not your fly's fault. ;)

It takes some practice, but once you get it you'll never false cast 3, 4 or 5 times again. I see guys whipping the water like crazy just to get 40 or 50' out. Find a line you can shoot and save your arm.

Nicely done! Still haven't got that fish checked off from the list yet. Currently upgrading my boat with a Minn Kota Terrova, next time there it'll be with spot-lock assist :)

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have the spot lock
You’re gonna dig it
Also has a directional feature where you can set it and forget it
Very conducive to Tiger Musky fishing
I’m still 0 for life but I’m upping my game
I have the rip tide

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Shooting heads are your friend !

Cortland compact, obs (if you have to...lol), SA Titan. Point and shoot! One, maybe two backcast.

I almost always retrieve all the way to the boat. I've had enough fish just appear from nowhere that it's worth it.

Today, @PhilR and I moved one and hooked one (still have no idea how that little 3'er came unpinned) in about 6hrs of work.

Kfish

Flyologist
Forum Supporter
I have the spot lock
You’re gonna dig it
I have the rip tideCan you tell me more

I have the spot lock
You’re gonna dig it
I have the rip tide
I ordered the riptide terrova too, what is the directional feature and how do you use it?

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Shooting heads are your friend !

Cortland compact, obs (if you have to...lol), SA Titan. Point and shoot! One, maybe two backcast.

I almost always retrieve all the way to the boat. I've had enough fish just appear from nowhere that it's worth it.

Today, @PhilR and I moved one and hooked one (still have no idea how that little 3'er came unpinned) in about 6hrs of work.
That's 1 more moved and hooked than I had today at Tapps from 6-11am. Just seemed so fishy today too. Cloudy, just a touch of wind, only 2 wake boats all morning, no bass tourney (like last Saturday) and I had 2 spots I like all to myself. I was chatting with a nice guy about the bass also being slow. We both thought it was weird.
Fished the sucker fly you tied for me on an intermediate most of the morning and then hit a couple spots with Lou's perch fly on the floater. I know it wasn't because of bad flies. Those things are both badass!

And yes, I've had enough boat side action, including fish outta nowhere that I retrieve all the way to my leader. I don't figure 8 unless I'm over a juicy spot. I probably should do it more, especially with the intermediate or sinker, but I haven't been positively reinforced enough. I did get hit on the figure 8 once this year! On your black fly you sent me. No hooky though.

That was probably my last attempt at musky this year. No fish boated this year. Had 2 nippy hits, both at Tapps. Only fished Mayfield once.

Next year!!

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I ordered the riptide terrova too, what is the directional feature and how do you use it?
You basically determine a heading
Point the motor at it and press the button
Great speed control
Impressive turning and acceleration
Really a nice unit
Salt water rated as well