Mission accomplished

When I head out to fish I like to have a game plan, and if you recall I've been on a mission to catch a whitefish.
Went out to play somewhere in this drainage today.
20220208_110747.jpg
And I took the Echo carbon xl ESN rod. I'm getting used to just spinning the reel spool on the base model reel to bring in loose line. Neat.
I played with these 4 flies
20220208_125312.jpg
The stimulator variant I posted in the vice worked up top
20220208_stimvariant.jpg
The tungsten taco I posted worked in the middle as well, good general color but I don't think the best for today,
20220208_egg2.jpg
the pat's worked swapped for the egg
20220208_pats.jpg
but as always the hares ear on point is the best fly
20220208_he2.jpg
that same hares ear was also responsible for this, my first short fin grayling ever, and another a touch smaller two casts later.
20220208_firstwhitefish.jpg
I noted a few things when I finally got one. A very satisfying quest, I don't know why people don't care for them.

Last edited:

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
When I head out to fish I like to have a game plan, and if you recall I've been on a mission to catch a whitefish.
Went out to play somewhere in this drainage today.
View attachment 4042
And I took the Echo carbon xl ESN rod. I'm getting used to just spinning the reel spool on the base model reel to bring in loose line. Neat.
I played with these 4 flies
View attachment 4055
The stimulator variant I posted in the vice worked up top
View attachment 4057
The tungsten taco I posted worked in the middle as well, good general color but I don't think the best for today,
View attachment 4058
the pat's worked swapped for the egg
View attachment 4059
but as always the hares ear on point is the best fly
View attachment 4070
that same hares ear was also responsible for this, my first short fin grayling ever, and another a touch smaller two casts later.
View attachment 4071
I noted a few things when I finally got one. A very satisfying quest, I don't know why people don't care for them.
Success!!

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I should give you all a big shout out. Your input on where to find them and what to use helped. Then it was just a matter of finding them in 50 miles of river.

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Mountain whitefish are native in many PNW rivers, rise to a fly, and love clean, cold water in really cool places. I never understood their second class status. Though, I suppose I must confess I'd rather catch a trout, and I seldom target whitefish. I had a guide on a particularly difficult angling day call one a "Deschutes River Grayling", at which point I lost my shit on the poor guy, apologizing later. Sorry I appeared to be some Eastern Dude.

Perhaps their bony-ness makes them "difficult" table fare, perhaps it's their unattractive mouth or scaly skin, is what has made them less attractive a catch.

I love a mixed bag like you got here. Great trip pics.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Hell yeah Tom! nice work on the short-fin! I really tried to get a few on Saturday, but alas, they eluded me and it was only a bunch of redsides...

also, 4 flies? that's ambitious....I'm glad it worked for you. I tried 3 the other day on the Deschutes and cut the top one off after the first couple of hooked fish resulted in tangles.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Hell yeah Tom! nice work on the short-fin! I really tried to get a few on Saturday, but alas, they eluded me and it was only a bunch of redsides...

also, 4 flies? that's ambitious....I'm glad it worked for you. I tried 3 the other day on the Deschutes and cut the top one off after the first couple of hooked fish resulted in tangles.
Thx. Only 3 can be fished at once. I was trying them in different places, point, dropper ect.

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
Thx. Only 3 can be fished at once. I was trying them in different places, point, dropper ect.
Have you ever had 3 fish on at the same time. I've had a double one time it was a bugger to land both fish.

Tom Butler

Forum Supporter
Have you ever had 3 fish on at the same time. I've had a double one time it was a bugger to land both fish.
Doubles are common for me, probably ever other outing. Occasionally there are 3. Usually one helps by coming unbuttoned during netting, but with fish going each way it's hard to just slack line dump them.
20200903_threefish.jpg
these two teamed up to head upstream, then all over.
20210822_113445 (2).jpg

Last edited: