Marine Area 11

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
Approaching the Chinook quota, so they closed it so they could retain some quota to allow it to be open in August for a bit. I am curious to see how they will manage it once they hit the quota in August on a 4 day a week schedule, and there are a million pinks swimming around down there.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
On the encounters, are they basing their numbers of them on WDFW sample fishing, sports creel check numbers, some formula or a combo of all three….or something else?
SF

Tallguy

Steelhead
On the encounters, are they basing their numbers of them on WDFW sample fishing, sports creel check numbers, some formula or a combo of all three….or something else?
SF
Mostly a magic 8 ball they found in the basement of WDFW. Each MA has one, so it's whatever numbers the magic 11 ball spits out get used for 11. But if you don't like them, then you can make some up. There are also some formulas that work backwards from the current market price of PS Chinook and coho that get used too.

ThatGuyRyRy

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
SF
I've heard that they are using the sample fishing from both the tribes and DFW and then applying the enounters to the angler population.

Unfortunately, I know firsthand that one of the DFW guys is super fishy... I only caught like four or five sublegals in the 9 days I fished while it was open this year with a variety of methods so the numbers don't seem to add up.

I do know that they are reporting gear used on the sample boat so eventually maybe we get away from using coho killers which brain spike our sublegals and move to bigger baits like plugs or jigs to reduce the impact on those out migrating fish.

Tallguy

Steelhead
I also don't think the numbers add up. I don't like keeping blackmouth and prefer to wait for more ocean fish around, so I didn't fish June and early July. But in my 2 days out there before they closed it, I also only caught 2 small shakers and 1 jack sized king, and just didn't see many little fish chasing my jig up at all. one which was likely coho. That's in the middle of the clay banks crowd where at least 75% of MA 11 effort and people are, so it's not like you can hide results there.

This year and the last 2 years I didn't seem to be encountering lots of small shakers at all, so I don't understand how suddenly it's a big year for encountering undersized fish. Since 2017 when I got the kayak and started jigging 11 for kings,there were 2 years (18 and 20 maybe?) When I was encountering lots of small fish. But not this year.

It shouldn't actually matter whether the test boat is super fishy I think, unless they are pretending that 1 test boat is exactly average for PS fisherman effort/results (that would be total bullshit and mathematically impossible to achieve). All that should matter for predicted impacts from test fishing is the ratio of legal hatchery Chinook to wild illegal Chinook to sublegal Chinook. Then they should just scale that ratio to what the fish checkers actually see/report. No idea what's really done, and because no real data is actually reported, it's impossible to know. Other than it's really all super sketchy, likely not defensible (would be reported better if it was), and I am pissed that I might only have gotten 1 day to jig kings on my kayak this year before WDFW ruined my fishing plans in a big way. Truly now something I really now look forward to every year.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I also don't think the numbers add up. I don't like keeping blackmouth and prefer to wait for more ocean fish around, so I didn't fish June and early July. But in my 2 days out there before they closed it, I also only caught 2 small shakers and 1 jack sized king, and just didn't see many little fish chasing my jig up at all. one which was likely coho. That's in the middle of the clay banks crowd where at least 75% of MA 11 effort and people are, so it's not like you can hide results there.

This year and the last 2 years I didn't seem to be encountering lots of small shakers at all, so I don't understand how suddenly it's a big year for encountering undersized fish. Since 2017 when I got the kayak and started jigging 11 for kings,there were 2 years (18 and 20 maybe?) When I was encountering lots of small fish. But not this year.

It shouldn't actually matter whether the test boat is super fishy I think, unless they are pretending that 1 test boat is exactly average for PS fisherman effort/results (that would be total bullshit and mathematically impossible to achieve). All that should matter for predicted impacts from test fishing is the ratio of legal hatchery Chinook to wild illegal Chinook to sublegal Chinook. Then they should just scale that ratio to what the fish checkers actually see/report. No idea what's really done, and because no real data is actually reported, it's impossible to know. Other than it's really all super sketchy, likely not defensible (would be reported better if it was), and I am pissed that I might only have gotten 1 day to jig kings on my kayak this year before WDFW ruined my fishing plans in a big way. Truly now something I really now look forward to every year.
The problem with creel data is a large chunk of meatheads have decided that the smart thing to do is to lie to the checkers about how many fish they were caught, thinking it will extend the season. We reap what they sowed, and now WDFW is using test fishers to calculate encounter rates

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've heard that they are using the sample fishing from both the tribes and DFW and then applying the enounters to the angler population.

Unfortunately, I know firsthand that one of the DFW guys is super fishy... I only caught like four or five sublegals in the 9 days I fished while it was open this year with a variety of methods so the numbers don't seem to add up.

I do know that they are reporting gear used on the sample boat so eventually maybe we get away from using coho killers which brain spike our sublegals and move to bigger baits like plugs or jigs to reduce the impact on those out migrating fish.
This is the first King season that I had an inkling of an idea what I was doing and I tried varying my terminal tackle extensively. Even with big 4" spoons, and a 4" plug, I've still been hitting shaker after shaker. I'm gonna experiment with the plug more, but it's not just the small spoons that get hits from the babies.

skyrise

Steelhead
This is the first King season that I had an inkling of an idea what I was doing and I tried varying my terminal tackle extensively. Even with big 4" spoons, and a 4" plug, I've still been hitting shaker after shaker. I'm gonna experiment with the plug more, but it's not just the small spoons that get hits from the babies.
Try looking at John’s sporting goods as he really has the trolling gear thing dialed in. Nice instructions right down to the line/leader in inches and the lures. Of course on Facebook.
And if anyone wants some other discussion with theories thrown around go to piscatorial pursuits on this subject of MA 11 shutdown.

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Try looking at John’s sporting goods as he really has the trolling gear thing dialed in. Nice instructions right down to the line/leader in inches and the lures. Of course on Facebook.
And if anyone wants some other discussion with theories thrown around go to piscatorial pursuits on this subject of MA 11 shutdown.
The gear Johns running is all I ever run. Him, and the gentleman behind PNWBestlife are the only reason I have ever boated fish trolling

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
It would be great if they would differentiate beach fishing from boat fishing with regards to protecting the Chinook sub-legals, and allow folks to target the mass pink migration from the area 11 beaches.