Man I Love to Fish

Last year, my brother-in-law's son got interested in fly fishing. So I organized a trip to South Twin lake to take him out in a float tube and show him the basic basics of fly fishing. It sort of snowballed, and it ended up being me, my wife, daughter, brother-in-law and his son going. My daughter and nephew didn't have any gear, but by fortunate luck, I happen to have enough gear for two more people! I proved to be a truly awful fly fishing instructor - two minute casting lesson, one minute knot lesson, then just kick around and have fun. But everybody caught fish and had fun!

So over the winter, brother-in-law and son got themselves float tubes and gear and I picked up an Echo Gecko from @SurfnSully for my daughter. Then it was just a matter of waiting for a nice Saturday when everyone was available to get out again. Schedules and weather forecast came together last Saturday. So we agreed to meet at a lake halfway between Eugene and Portland.

Heading down I5 we passed a truck with the bumper sticker "MILF - Man I Love to Fish", which my wife thought was hilarious. Good omen for the day.

Fish were caught by all.

Big Fish.
IMG_20240415_120252.jpg

Little fish.
IMG_20240415_120306.jpg

In between fish.

IMG_20240415_120242.jpg

Best part was my daughter snapped off a nice trout towards the end of the day, and like a true fisherwoman wants to go back and catch the one that got away.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Way Cool!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Like @mcswny: Hell Yeah! My six year old grandson visited us for four days at the first of April. My schedule was non flexible and the weather basically sucked so we didn't get out. Keiji told me "Jiji, I want to go fishing next time I visit".

Well done getting everyone out, I hope to get my little buddy out on his next visit.

SurfnSully

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Last year, my brother-in-law's son got interested in fly fishing. So I organized a trip to South Twin lake to take him out in a float tube and show him the basic basics of fly fishing. It sort of snowballed, and it ended up being me, my wife, daughter, brother-in-law and his son going. My daughter and nephew didn't have any gear, but by fortunate luck, I happen to have enough gear for two more people! I proved to be a truly awful fly fishing instructor - two minute casting lesson, one minute knot lesson, then just kick around and have fun. But everybody caught fish and had fun!

So over the winter, brother-in-law and son got themselves float tubes and gear and I picked up an Echo Gecko from @SurfnSully for my daughter. Then it was just a matter of waiting for a nice Saturday when everyone was available to get out again. Schedules and weather forecast came together last Saturday. So we agreed to meet at a lake halfway between Eugene and Portland.

Heading down I5 we passed a truck with the bumper sticker "MILF - Man I Love to Fish", which my wife thought was hilarious. Good omen for the day.

Fish were caught by all.

Big Fish.
View attachment 110796

Little fish.
View attachment 110797

In between fish.

View attachment 110795

Best part was my daughter snapped off a nice trout towards the end of the day, and like a true fisherwoman wants to go back and catch the one that got away.
I am glad she landed a fish on the old rod. Congratulations and I am glad it will go to good use.

Robert Engleheart

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
In the ‘70’s some of the ponds along I5 south of PDX were stocked and some surprisingly big fish were occasionally caught. Ponds were created as a source of gravel for the highway.
Nice to see the kids get it; well done sir!