Local retailer for YLI Silk thread?

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I'm looking for a local store to pick up a spool of YLI 256. My usual stop got replaced with a skyscraper in Bellevue. I know I can order it from the internet but the shipping is more than the spool of thread.

Thanks

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I ended up ordering from Red Rock Threads in Nevada. I've used them before once I believe. Not as handy as picking it up from the rack in a local store, but I'm getting the color I need in a couple of days in my mailbox.

jerry

Steelhead
I hate buying things off the internet. I prefer to walk in look at the material or item, wiggle, touch it and think about it, before buying it.
I know I can often get a better price from an internet site, but I like the brick-and-mortar store. Unfortunately, these days, some things
can only be purchased off the internet.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The internet is good for finding that "needle in the haystack" item. When I decided to try to build a Payne 201 clone I needed to figure out how to get an exact match to a real Payne's wraps. After lots of research reading online discussions on that quest, most folks settled for close enough but not exact matches. But one post on the Classic Forum gave the answer - Belding Corticelli silk #5115, color preserved with dewaxed shellac. I could buy dewaxed shellac, but finding the #5115 thread was another matter. It seems to be a rarely found color, and rod restorationists rarely parted with any spools that were around. So I started searching online. After weeks of searching, a new listing came up on Etsy for a spool of light brown silk...the photo of the spool showed "5115" and I hit the purchase button as quickly as I could. The silk and shellac nailed the wraps, confirmed when I later laid my clone 201 side by side with a mint $3,500 Payne 98 on the counter of the Camp Sherman Store. (If you have a Payne needing a replacement wrap, I've got some leftover thread...) Ron

[url=https://postimg.cc/CZpnM1R7][/URL]

2021062708180416--8202934607760216581-IMG_0202.jpg