Leaking Waders

netsam49

Freshly Spawned
Used a pair of gore tex waders that have been in the closet for a while. Unfortunately they leaked a bit. As they have a few years on them I wasn't too surprised. The question is whether the seams can be realistically sealed and with what product. I'd appreciate any experience or advice you could share, including just get new ones. Gary

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Aquaseal. Pinholes just apply. Small tear also. Seam leak you can use a backing piece. Lots of videos on the interweb. Use 'em until they can't be patched, then save for backup or nasty days in the mud after you get new ones.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Aquaseal. Pinholes just apply. Small tear also. Seam leak you can use a backing piece. Lots of videos on the interweb. Use 'em until they can't be patched, then save for backup or nasty days in the mud after you get new ones.
I use the old ones for duck hunting. Spend less time standing in the water.

Bagman

Steelhead
Used a pair of gore tex waders that have been in the closet for a while. Unfortunately they leaked a bit. As they have a few years on them I wasn't too surprised. The question is whether the seams can be realistically sealed and with what product. I'd appreciate any experience or advice you could share, including just get new ones. Gary
As the man says Aquaseal, you can now buy Aquaseal with a accelerator, or UV cure. If it were me I would also give them a coating of water repelant. which is something you should do every now and then anyway.

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
I have a pair of Simms I use in my wader rotation that kept leaking. I gorilla taped the seams, then gave them a heavy coating of flex seal.

Kills the warranty. That was fine by me. I did not want to send them back a 3rd time for repair. It’s worked for a 5-6 months now.

Not sure how it impacts breathability

Also, you’ll have lots of flex seal flakes on whatever wading pants you happen to wear under them.

Stopped leaking though….for the most part. 98% better than they were.

Bagman

Steelhead
I have a pair of Simms I use in my wader rotation that kept leaking. I gorilla taped the seams, then gave them a heavy coating of flex seal.

Kills the warranty. That was fine by me. I did not want to send them back a 3rd time for repair. It’s worked for a 5-6 months now.

Not sure how it impacts breathability

Also, you’ll have lots of flex seal flakes on whatever wading pants you happen to wear under them.

Stopped leaking though….for the most part. 98% better than they were.
I’ve been married to the same woman for53 years now. A friend of my wife asked “ how have you two been married for so long” my wife said “ we did not throw it away just because it didn’t work anymore we fixed it” good advice.