Kona Bones?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
On a recent trip to Kona I talked with a local working for the US National Parks who told me there are bonefish in at least one of the saltwater "fish ponds" in the area. We drove to the pond in question and it looked too deep to wade and most of the shoreline was off-limits to walking so that curbed my excitement. We did see what might have been very small bonefish maybe 7-10" cruising the shoreline in groups of three which repeatedly sent a couple schools of smaller fish erupting into flight...But I have zero bonefish experience and have no idea that those were bones, it was only a guess. I also googled bone fishing on the Big Island and found very little. My curiosity is piqued. Anyone have any experience fishing bones there?

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Bonefishing exists on the Big Island, but it's very few and far between, and the fishable spots are zipperlip programs. I'm afraid you likely won't get much information on it unless you get very lucky.

Bagman

Steelhead
On a recent trip to Kona I talked with a local working for the US National Parks who told me there are bonefish in at least one of the saltwater "fish ponds" in the area. We drove to the pond in question and it looked too deep to wade and most of the shoreline was off-limits to walking so that curbed my excitement. We did see what might have been very small bonefish maybe 7-10" cruising the shoreline in groups of three which repeatedly sent a couple schools of smaller fish erupting into flight...But I have zero bonefish experience and have no idea that those were bones, it was only a guess. I also googled bone fishing on the Big Island and found very little. My curiosity is piqued. Anyone have any experience fishing bones there?
Send a PM to Mems

Chadk

Life of the Party
Agree with above. Mems is a guide there and if you want a shot at the bones - hire him for day :)

I fished there 6mo or so ago and saw a couple - may have even had one on for a quick second. Mems and Mingo helped point me in the right direction on patterns, techniques, locations - though I'm sure they didn't share any honey holes. I'm planning to head back in another 6 months, so hopefully I do better now that I have a little experience with the place.

mems

Steelhead
Guiding for them tomorrow. Got a small one yesterday. The pond you are talking about sounds like kaloko pond across from costco. That used to be a no miss spot for me, but the rules there and their stupid management of that pond have just ruined a great spot. There is a good synopsis of fishing the big island on line by Michael Bolte if you can find it. If you need help just email me at kickithilo@yahoo.com

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Guiding for them tomorrow. Got a small one yesterday. The pond you are talking about sounds like kaloko pond across from costco. That used to be a no miss spot for me, but the rules there and their stupid management of that pond have just ruined a great spot. There is a good synopsis of fishing the big island on line by Michael Bolte if you can find it. If you need help just email me at kickithilo@yahoo.com
Mems, thanks, and yes it was Kaloko pond. I stood gazing at it from the one corner with public access and couldn't imagine how to legally fish it but sure would like to. I may look you up when we come out to your beautiful island again someday. Mahalo.

Mingo

Life of the Party
There are bonefish and trevally that are legit fly targets on the Kona side, and if you put in the time, you’ll have a chance to get them on fly. What I tell people is this- bring your stick and some good flies, scan for fish and if you don’t see any, take some blind casts. You just never know, but it’s always fun to try. The fish can be big. Most people here fish with bait and that will greatly increase your odds, but let’s face it, there is just nothing in the world that compares to hooking a bonefish on fly. The big island is usually a poor place for bonefishing on fly but some of us have figured out ways to get them. It is like Muskie fishing….the fish of 10,000 fly casts. 1418B0E7-4E06-4729-8E9F-3425B5148C99.jpeg
FDAAE999-AF91-4593-9C7D-0A2E2D6C8093.jpeg
AFAD7906-7A8D-4FB6-931C-9D72F94603B5.jpeg
A790278A-5E09-4673-A68E-D00B73FA7610.jpeg

Luck and timing are huge factors here. I’ve hooked and lost some real tanks to lava and
coral. There are also plenty of other incidental species that will hit flies and keep things interesting. 18ABA0A2-3E46-472E-8293-D293ED5A609F.jpeg
612FE11B-ABAF-43D4-9E4F-D4855DA69FB8.jpeg
79204051-7153-46E5-98B8-703EFC5C3C3B.jpeg
F2612C14-E5D4-4B8E-85C8-5A432BB4288E.jpeg
B7B6D3D5-0355-4D7D-B9F2-1708C74D2F93.jpeg
34976C8E-DE3D-4A04-A5CB-C8A2235B62E6.jpeg

good luck. Here are a few examples of what you might find.

Last edited:

Mingo

Life of the Party
Any luck on this beach? I caught some cool fish off the rocks to your left. Then spotted some bones or goat fish (was hard to tell as a newbie, leaning towards goat) near the rocks to your right - they would shoot up into a flat sandy spot, and slip out every few minutes.
oh yeah, I've had great days there but it's hit or miss just like everywhere here. The fish you saw were either goats or bones based on your description . I hope you made some casts to them, they're all fun to hook!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter

Pretty awesome…a panunu on a fly was a lot of fun I bet…when you think of Kona, you think of deep water close to shore. Have you ever fly fished north of Kona at Mahukona? I used to free dive and spear fish there, could be fun fishing for papio and aha…

Mingo

Life of the Party
Pretty awesome…a panunu on a fly was a lot of fun I bet…when you think of Kona, you think of deep water close to shore. Have you ever fly fished north of Kona at Mahukona? I used to free dive and spear fish there, could be fun fishing for papio and aha…
Not fly fishing, but that is a killer spot to throw plugs from shore.