Kiritimati Part 2 - Lagoon Flats and Outer Reef

The remaining 5 days were spent fishing the lagoon flats for bonefish and triggers with a brief trip outside to jig for snappers dredge flies on day 2. I wanted to drive to the back country, but that will have to wait for next time.

Days started with breakfast at 6:00 and leaving for the 5 minute drive to the boats at 7:00. It took about 20 minutes in the boat to reach the first flat of the day. Due to the reduced travel time, the lagoon days have more fishing time. We were back at the doc between 3:30 and 5:00 each day. This was my first time fishing traditional flats. I had never seen a bonefish except while snorkeling and one I caught blind casting in Hawaii. Again, my son started with the guide. I stared at the water for 15 minutes without a clue. I walked over to them and asked our guide to point out a fish. We were in less than a foot of water and had decent light, so I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to see the fish. I stepped about 50’ away and caught 3 in about 20 minutes. There are a lot of fish! Clouds moved in so I went exploring the edges of the flat to see if I could blind cast up some strange fish – a queenfish would have been great. I saw several bones move onto the flat from the deep water – they were extremely spooky. I also cast to a lot of milkfish – hate those things! The other thing about this flat was the sharks. I bet we saw 50 2 to 4 foot blacktips. Another species I wanted to target. Since this was the first flat we fished, I thought this would be the norm. Not the case - I wish I had tried to catch a shark on that flat. Had one other shot later in the week. They wouldn’t look at a fly with wire tippet. The best reactions were to a small crab on 40 pound fluoro. I had made so many cast to him at that point, I doubt it would have eaten anything.

Due to the motor problem on the normal boat, we had our own boat on day 2. The cloudy conditions didn’t improve so we talked the guide into trolling to the reef at the mouth of the lagoon – it didn’t take much convincing. My son caught a small GT trolling

CXI Day3 08.jpg

and a bunch of red guys on jigs once we got to the reef. An 80 gram Buffalo jig from Nomad was money. On one drift he caught 6 fish on 7 drops.

CXI Day3 11.jpgCXI Day3 13.jpg

He also hooked 2 fish that took him for a ride but came unbuttoned. One of my first casts (integrated sinking head line) into the 20’ deep reef got hammered after a couple strips and I immediately got reefed. Would have liked to have seen what that was. One more notable event once we drifted off the reef into about 60’ of water - this is what happens to 80 pound fluoro when your fly gets eaten by a wahoo. I looked down and there were 4 or 5 down there. That would have been very cool!

CXI Day3 12.jpg

Next came the beginning of my triggerfish journey. I cast to about 20 that afternoon and don’t think one had a positive reaction to my fly – spooked plenty tho. Very challenging fish! I wanted to tie some flexo crabs before the trip, but waited too long to make that call and couldn’t find the tubing. Fortunately, one of the guys brought some and after 3 days on the flats with no triggers hooked, I tied a couple and got lucky catching one on day 5 and another on day 6.

CXI Day6 05.jpgCXI Day6 06.jpgCXI Day6 07.jpgCXI Day7 04.jpg

We always had our GT rods with us, but never saw a good one on the flats inside the lagoon. Others in our group did. I can confirm the locals ate a lot of them during the pandemic. If GTs are high on your list, wait a few years to go to CXI. I caught a couple more small ones on the flats. One while casting to triggers and this one I thought was a bonefish.

CXI Day5 08.jpg

A few tips:

• Pick a day with 20 mph wind and practice making 20 – 30 foot casts landing the fly softly. Put targets in every direction, but concentrate on the half circle in front of you. I am talking from 2 to 10 feet of fly line outside the tip top.
  • Bring a 7 wt, but expect to use the 8 most days. Some guys pulled out the 7s on the last day. I think our weather was windier than normal so take that for what it is worth.
  • There isn’t room for everyone to carry 3 rods on the trucks and boats. Your main rods will be an 8 and a 12 wt.
  • Troll on the way back to the dock each night – best chance at a big GT by far.
  • Did I say flexo crabs? They are a game changer for the triggers!
Trolled up GT by one of the boys along with more pics from inside the lagoon

CXI Day5 15d.jpg
CXI Day1 12.jpgCXI Day1 17.jpgCXI Day4 05.jpgCXI Day4 07.jpg

You can see the flats go on forever
CXI Day5 05.jpg

My flexos were this simple
CXI Day6 02.jpg

DimeBrite recommended tying some flies that resemble blacktail snapper. You can hardly find a big rock or triggerfish hole that doesn't have some living around it.
CXI Day6 12.jpg

I am going to give the GTs some time to recover, but I will be back!

Thanks for all the help preparing for the trip.

albula

We are all Bozos on this bus
Forum Supporter
Thanks for the photos of Christmas. Even after some 30 trips there a reminder of its unique beauty is captivating.

muknuk

Smolt
Thanks for sharing your experience and I can see it has changed over the years. I am glad you had a wonderful experience and that the fishing pressure has not destroyed this valuable resource.

SilverFly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
He also hooked 2 fish that took him for a ride but came unbuttoned. One of my first casts (integrated sinking head line) into the 20’ deep reef got hammered after a couple strips and I immediately got reefed. Would have liked to have seen what that was. One more notable event once we drifted off the reef into about 60’ of water - this is what happens to 80 pound fluoro when your fly gets eaten by a wahoo. I looked down and there were 4 or 5 down there. That would have been very cool!

View attachment 99797

OK, I need more deets on the wahoo encounter. Wahoo on the fly, preferably cast/retrieved, would be very high on my list. I mean c'mon. The chance to hook a fish that looks, and swims, like an aquatic cruise missile on fly gear would be enough to get me on a plane to Kirimati. Would like to know if this was a rare, random encounter, or if this is something that could be developed?

CanoeGuy

Steelhead
OK, I need more deets on the wahoo encounter. Wahoo on the fly, preferably cast/retrieved, would be very high on my list. I mean c'mon. The chance to hook a fish that looks, and swims, like an aquatic cruise missile on fly gear would be enough to get me on a plane to Kirimati. Would like to know if this was a rare, random encounter, or if this is something that could be developed?

On the flight home I spoke with a guy who told me another guy at his lodge actually landed one on a fly while trolling. I think if you put in the time trolling, it will happen - yellowfin tuna too. Drifting and casting like we were I think the odds are pretty low.

Someone on this board said the bluewater fishing isn't what it used to be because of the commercial fishing. There are 5 processing boats anchored near town. Their contract says they can't fish within 200 miles of the island, but there is nobody to enforce that. I am not sure how many fishing boats are associated with a processing boat, but on multiple occasions we saw two big boats unloading at the same time onto one processing boat.

Honestly, our wahoo experience is kind of a blur. My son got bit off first. I can't remember if I was retrieving my fly or was making another cast when he got snipped. The two eats were maybe 10 or 15 seconds apart. Either way, my fly was about 10' down. I must have been looking at him when I got eaten cause I don't remember seeing the take. I am not sure if I was stripping or letting it sink, but I felt a tick and the fly was gone. We were deep enough that you couldn't see bottom, but Jackson could drop his 80 gram nomad buffalo jig to the bottom in less than 10 seconds. You can see on these strava maps, we were fishing close to shore - never more than about 0.8 miles out using google earth to measure:

CXI Day3 00.jpg

1705696126828.png

I was really looking forward to dredging the edge of the reef, but it was tough. Strava shows we were drift at about 1.5 feet per second. That is pretty fast when you are trying to get your fly down 40 feet. If we had been able to drift parallel to the bank staying in 20 - 30 feet of water, I think I could have done well. The first drift at the top of the zoom is short because I hooked up right away and we motored back in trying to pull the fish that reefed me out of its hole. If we could have stayed at that depth...

At the end you can see I asked to get closer. I broke my fly line twice (my 400 grain head is probably closer to 300 now) when I let it sink too far and got wrapped on coral. Just too much wind and the swells were too big to have a good feel for how deep I was. I got in the habit of casting ahead of the boat and let it sink as we drifted toward my fly when we were out deeper. When we were shallow, that was giving the fly too much time to sink. One of my many "I wish I had tried..." things is throwing a popper out there. I feel like that would have been at least as effective as fishing mid water column like I was when we drifted out.

Giving it a shot isn't a huge time commitment. We fished out there for less than 2 hours. Next time I will ask for a reef day on a day with less wind. We really didn't get a "less wind" day.