Kilchis River

I fished the Kilchis river on Sunday November 12th. As soon as I got there, about 15 bank anglers were on one side of the shore and about 10 on the other side. My goal was to swing some flies for Chum salmon. People did not want me near them because I was the only fly fisherman. I fished for about three hours before giving up. People were getting upset that I was swinging flies because it took up space. Overall there were lots of fish but way too many anglers. I would love to fish here but without the people.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sorry to hear you had a crummy experience on the Kilchis. Maybe try the Miami River next fall? I drove along it on my way to Nehalem a week and a half ago and saw lots of fly fisher folks at a handful of access points.

Kilchis and Miami are both very small rivers. Tough to get enough run or elbow room to swing. If you have a boat there's a few runs you could pull over on the Kilchis to do it, but I assume you just fished by the bridge.

If you can find space above the bridge...(again difficult as pretty much all of it is private property)...there is a lot less pressure.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
If you'd love to fish there but without so many people, don't go there during chum season.

But, if it's chums you're after, listen to @veilside180sx above. It's just really tough with small rivers with limited access and high pressure.

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
If you have access to a boat - the chum salmon begin staging in tidewater starting towards the middle/end of October. They can be pests if you are looking for chinook.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
Keep in mind the local knuckle dragging locals don't always have the best viewpoint of city slicker fly fishermen. Fly and gear styles don't mix too well when its crowded. Either get there first and claim your spot, or find somewhere more remote.

SpawnFlyFish

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I fished the Kilchis river on Sunday November 12th. As soon as I got there, about 15 bank anglers were on one side of the shore and about 10 on the other side. My goal was to swing some flies for Chum salmon. People did not want me near them because I was the only fly fisherman. I fished for about three hours before giving up. People were getting upset that I was swinging flies because it took up space. Overall there were lots of fish but way too many anglers. I would love to fish here but without the people.i
Im sorry it wasn't a great experience it's definitely tough when you want to swing a fly with that many people around and ensure that everyone can fish effectively. When I lived in portland I used to fish that river a ton and it's a special place I would highly recommend you go back in the summer time for cutthroat! bring a float and you will get away from the people and find some remarkable fishing!

GAT

Dumbfounded
Forum Supporter
Decades ago I caught my first steelhead and was using fly gear during the winter run on the Miami. I was waaaaaay above the chum fishing section and have no idea if its even open these days for steelhead.

My friends and I also attended the chum circus on the Kilchis and Miami. Sometimes, the spin guys would catch the fish they wanted for the eggs and leave. As we fly anglers were just fishing C&R sometimes we'd be the only ones remaining on the river. Or, if we ventured over during the week, sometimes, just sometimes, there wouldn't be any other anglers in the popular spots.

But again, this was many decades ago....

flybill

Life of the Party
If I see more than 2 cars in a spot, I go to another spot and another if I have too.. gear or fly, doesn't matter.. I don't want to participate in combat fishing.. so it doesn't surprise me that the others got frustrated with you. Next time, I would suggest just pulling out a gear rod and joining them or moving on. Even if you're in the right, and I'm not saying you're not.. the experience pretty much sucked for you (3 hours?) and affected them.. Cheers!