Kauai Rooster

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
View attachment 11037
Some cool looking feathers on this rooster in Kauai up in Waimea canyon. Now that I tie my own flies I look at birds differently. Just thought I’d share!
I just have to drift this thread, sorry: One year we decided to buy chicks - I set up a warm spot in the garage, brought home ten "sexed" chicks; five Rhode Island Reds, five Barred Plymouth Rocks. One of those "sexed" hens turned out to be a rooster. I thought "Grizzly Hackle"! That damn rooster had nine hens to, uh, service, so you'd think he would have been nicely mellow. Not at all. One afternoon I was out in the back yard where the free range hens and the rooster were clucking, eating, strutting. All of sudden my four year old daughter started screaming. The rooster had spurred her - fortunately that damn rooster just scared her. I picked the rooster up and not so gently tossed him towards the hen house. The next day he did the same thing: Bucky the rooster was suddenly headless and we had chicken for dinner (his feathers weren't worth saving).

Tubbster

Steelhead
No worries, it’s a good story! The roosters here seem pretty mellow, probably because they have been around so many people but I’m not an expert. They damn near will eat out of your hands if you let them.

Kado

Steelhead
While waiting for my wife and daughters to exit a shop in Makawao, a beautiful pale ginger hen kept walking right by my feet. I thought it was pretty arrogant of it, so I grabbed it just as my daughters came out of the store (My family raised chickens when growing up). That was one very surprised chicken. I also couldn't help thinking how many soft hackled flies I could tie with that one bird. I did manage to amaze my daughters in catching that chicken though it was truly incredibly slow compared to the Bantam chickens I grew up with.

BCO

Steelhead
I worked with a guy that had chickens, he took in birds that were no longer wanted by would be suburban farmers. He brought home a rooster that turned into an aggressive bird that would attack his wife when she fed the other birds, He came home one day, his wife told him “if you are looking for your @##&&& rooster
he’s under the hay fork”.