Kauai in December

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Lucky to find myself going to Kauai for my 50th birthday in December. One week just north of Lihue and one week with friends in Hanalei Bay. Spent time on the island prior to becoming a fly fisherman so I'm excited to make this my first saltwater trip. Planning to fish 5-7 days total.

Bringing a Powell Tiboron 7wt (Rio Premier Bonefish line, calm days and reef fishing), Echo 3 Salt ti 9wt (SA Amplitude Smooth Grand Slam, windy days and ?), and Ross Rx 11wt (Airflo Super Dry Ridge Tarpon Intermediate clear tip, who knows, maybe I'll find some GTs?).

Since this will be my first time bonefishing, I've booked the day with Rob Arita. Coincidentally, he fished and surfed with a good friend of mine here in Oregon. Small world. We'll likely hit Anini beach and I'm excited to learn the ropes from him.

Been Google Earthing and it looks like there is some interesting water on the north part of the island. The shore right behind our resort isn't too deep and there appears to be lots of structure. When the ocean lays down, we've snorkeled this area. Rob says he's caught trevally and bones south of Kapa'a so I should have lots of opportunity to play.

I've read all the old threads on WFF but if anyone has any tips or advice for fishing in December, I'd be grateful. I'll pick Rob's brain but it would be cool to have some prior beta before heading over.

Cheers!

Last edited:

Kado

Steelhead
Lucky to find myself going to Kauai for my 50th birthday in December. One week just north of Lihue and one week with friends in Hanalei Bay. Spent time on the island prior to becoming a fly fisherman so I'm excited to make this my first saltwater trip. Planning to fish 5-7 days total.

Bringing a Powell Tiboron 7wt (Rio Premier Bonefish line, calm days and reef fishing), Echo 3 Salt ti 9wt (SA Amplitude Smooth Grand Slam, windy days and ?), and Ross Rx 11wt (Airflo Super Dry Ridge Tarpon Intermediate clear tip, who knows, maybe I'll find some GTs?).

Since this will be my first time bonefishing, I've booked the day with Rob Arita. Coincidentally, he fished and surfed with a good friend of mine here in Oregon. Small world. We'll likely hit Anini beach and I'm excited to learn the ropes from him.

Been Google Earthing and it looks like there is some interesting water on the north part of the island. The shore right behind our resort isn't too deep and there appears to be lots of structure. When the ocean lays down, we've snorkeled this area. Rob says he's caught trevally and bones south of Kapa'a so I should have lots of opportunity to play.

I've read all the old threads on WFF but if anyone has any tips or advice for fishing in December, I'd be grateful. I'll pick Rob's brain but it would be cool to have some prior beta before heading over.

Cheers!
Didn't hook into a bonefish, but a really great fishing beach at Anini.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
You'll have fun just fishing anini

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
I' ve fished with Rob.
Suggestions
(Do you live near Puget Sound?)
1. Practice casting with wind 70'+
2. Practice casting 70'+ with no false casting (on a moment's notice)
3. Wish I'd brought a stripping basket.
4. Mark your line for distances.

Chucker

Steelhead
For most beginning bonefishers, spotting fish is the big hurdle. December can be overcast and windy, which makes it even harder. Carp are still up and about at the moment, so if you have a carp spot nearby it would be worth going to look at them. Maybe you do this already, given the gear you have.

For casting, accuracy is more important than distance. An accurate sidearm cast (without false casting) that lands the fly softly at 20-30’ probably gets a fly in front of just as many fish as a hero cast. You need both. Cutting out false casts and shooting line in your final cast is especially important in Hawaii, where the fish have interacted with cast netters.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter

Cheers!
Did you get a chance to fish in Kauai on your trip last month? Would love to hear about it!

Spfd Jason

Smolt
Forum Supporter
Ends up I’m still on island! Fished with Rob on 12/16. He spotted five fish. I blew the first couple shots (excitement and poor line management in the wind). Had one follow but no take on the next shots. Then it rained and blew for about a week and I caught a head cold. Extended the vacation.

On the 23rd I intercepted a large blue fin trevally that was chasing a bait ball. It turned on my fly for three strips. Then the leader was at the rod tip so I had to swing the rod and he spooked. Very exciting three or four seconds. No bones spotted.

On Christmas Eve I spotted one and he followed the fly on two separate casts. Brain recognized a blue-green torpedo on the mottled green-blue bottom at the east end of Anini Beach.

Fished on Christmas and the 30th to no avail. More rain. The swell has been big with lots of W so it has been a challenge. And the beach is pretty busy. Had a lot of fun and look forward to my next opportunity.

Snorkeling has been pretty good with lots of turtles and we saw three big spotted eagle rays. Yesterday was a relatively cloudless day at Waimea Canyon and the Nepali Coast. Island’s highest point/one of the wettest spot on earth Mount Waialeale was visible all day. Beautiful sunset to finish off 2023.
20231231_125120_Original Copy.jpeg

20231231_132632_Original.jpeg

20231231_180619 Copy.jpeg

Last edited:

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Thanks Jason, my wife and I will be heading to Kauai in a short while. Sounds like the bonefishing is a long-shot but not hopeless! Might bring my rod...TBD. Aloha! Ron

Vandelay Industries

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Hanalei is wonderful. Glad you had fun.

I tried fishing Anini but nothing seen or felt
They appear and then disappear at Anini. I messed up my one shot when I fished there.