Katmai 2023

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
Nice fish
Do they show signs of being caught multiple times? Just curious
It depends on where you fish. I've had clients catch fish on the Brooks river with the left side of their jaw missing from getting wailed on by bead rigs. Same with fish on the Kulik. Generally though, most fish are full faced and so much fun to catch.

Dr. Magill

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
It depends on where you fish. I've had clients catch fish on the Brooks river with the left side of their jaw missing from getting wailed on by bead rigs. Same with fish on the Kulik. Generally though, most fish are full faced and so much fun to catch.
The fish are incredible

Reactions: NBC

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I try hard not to fish any beads…mostly swinging streamers, and some dry-droppers on the Big Ku. But yesterday on the upper Gilbert, there was a trough with a huge trout in it…I bounced several streamers off his face…so I let my guide tie on a bead. Before he could get it, I caught a 21” & a 23” fish…then I spent another half hour with 5 bead changes, split shot add/remove, size down leader to 6lb test…without catching him…

NBC

Just Hatched
Forum Supporter
I try hard not to fish any beads…mostly swinging streamers, and some dry-droppers on the Big Ku. But yesterday on the upper Gilbert, there was a trough with a huge trout in it…I bounced several streamers off his face…so I let my guide tie on a bead. Before he could get it, I caught a 21” & a 23” fish…then I spent another half hour with 5 bead changes, split shot add/remove, size down leader to 6lb test…without catching him…
I went through an anti bead phase for a few years as well but they're so damn effective that I ended up having a hard time not tying them on. Of course there's a time and place for everything. Lots of fond memories swinging flies on the Big Ku.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I went through an anti bead phase for a few years as well but they're so damn effective that I ended up having a hard time not tying them on. Of course there's a time and place for everything. Lots of fond memories swinging flies on the Big Ku.

Glad you enjoyed your trip!
Today is the last day…I’ll spend it part time with my 5wt on the home river for grayling…I’ve caught 20”er’s here before…then swing streamers on the 3wt trout spey the rest of the time

Nice fish
Do they show signs of being caught multiple times? Just curious
I got back last Sunday from 3 days on the Naknek. The fish are big and strong, but unfortunately over 50% landed were missing mandibles or had head wounds caused by pegged beads. This is not sustainable. These world class fisheries need protection from us.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
I got back last Sunday from 3 days on the Naknek. The fish are big and strong, but unfortunately over 50% landed were missing mandibles or had head wounds caused by pegged beads. This is not sustainable. These world class fisheries need protection from us.
I’m going earlier next year…and no beads.