James Reid, Bamboo Rodmaker

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Thanks for sharing Dave, I have had some communication with James and ordered a rod in 2020 and he had been awesome to deal with. My rod is scheduled to be built in 2024-25 and look forward to receiving it. This order also inspired me to build my own rods as 5 years is a long time to wait. He has been supportive and encouraging in my learning curve and I have never asked for his taper or designs. I respect that as some builders think your poaching there tapers and I have never gotten that feel from him. His rods are very well made and hopefully I can produce a rod that is up to his standards. James, Bob Clay, Mark Shamburg, and Jim Reid are making some of the best modern rods out there.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
That was fun to watch, thanks for posting this Dave.

I had thought about, and wished I’d ordered a rod from him, back when I first became familiar with his northwest appropriate rods and tapers about a dozen years ago. He makes some good ones!

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
Can someone explain the long scarf in the rod section to this neophyte?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Can someone explain the long scarf in the rod section to this neophyte?
It's a spliced fly rod. A spliced fly rod has tapered ends. You tape it together when you fish using hockey tape or electrical tape. Spliced rods are used for bamboo spey rods because the torque stresses of a single or double spey cast can weaken the bamboo around a ferrule.

I own three spliced Sharpes fly rods. 13', 12' and 10'. They are roll casting and spey casting machines. There’s no metal ferrule to deaden the action.

You can see james taping the rod before fishing in the video.

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Hey Dave as I progress in my building learning curve I plan on building 6wght rods in that length. I will build one for you when I start a run if you’re interested, not sure about the weight but my rods will be 5 sided and scalloped.

Roper

Idiot Savant, still
Forum Supporter
It's a spliced fly rod. A spliced fly rod has tapered ends. You tape it together when you fish using hockey tape or electrical tape. Spliced rods are used for bamboo spey rods because the torque stresses of a single or double spey cast can weaken the bamboo around a ferrule.

I own three spliced Sharpes fly rods. 13', 12' and 10'. They are roll casting and spey casting machines. There’s no metal ferrule to deaden the action.

You can see james taping the rod before fishing in the video.
Thanks Dave!

Russell

Steelhead
Great video!

Watched a couple more "No Fish Harmed" videos after it . They really need to work on their soundtracks...... :rolleyes:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Hey Dave as I progress in my building learning curve I plan on building 6wght rods in that length. I will build one for you when I start a run if you’re interested, not sure about the weight but my rods will be 5 sided and scalloped.
Very interested Dennis. I'll buy one from you. Don't mind if it's spliced on account of the salt. Will be very curious about what you learn as you experiment with tapers.

What rod did you order from James?

Denwor54

Life of the Party
No worries Dave I will build you one free of charge as I‘m still learning and my only ask is input on how the rod performs and what you feel would make it better. I’m building a bunch of two handers and that all I have asked the guys is to give me there input to build a better rod. I have 4 6 weights that I have from different builders and will use those to give me a base line for my builds. I love longer rods and I’m hoping that I can build a bamboo single hander that is pleasant to fish and fills my expectations. As far as what I ordered from James has not been determined but I’m leaning to one of his Spey tapers not the shorter faster tapers. So when my build slot comes up we will come up with a length that I would like. My desired length is 12 1/2 to 13 ft 7/8 with a Spey style not Scandi if that answers your question.

Kado

Steelhead
I'm really impressed you're going for that long of rods and keeping it as a 6wt. I remember your casting style is really smooth, so I'll be curious if us mortals can slow down our cast enough. Bob Clay was very helpful when I was working on some doublehand trout rods. It took a couple tries but I finally got a 3/4wt I was happy with. I'm not sure if he is still answering his phone as I believe he retired.....but that might make him even more open to talking. A really nice guy.
Good luck on your quest. What made you decide on a five sided blank? Did you find making the splice joints to be more of challenge as a result?
Are you impregnating your blanks also? Rod building, especially bamboo, is so delicate. I'm psyched for you.
Mark

Denwor54

Life of the Party
Currently I have been very happy with 5 sided rods as my tooling is set for right now. I have with my limited experience that 5 sided over 6 sided the 5 sided are quicker than the 6 sided rods I have built so far. I have been experimenting with with scalloping and trying to get a feel how that impacts the action. So far I have been happy with the results and I feel that this will make the longer rods perform better. I also like how the 5 sided rod recovers in comparison to the 6 sided which is big deal as far as line tracking. I have not had any problems with splicing as I made a jig which has worked out. I haven’t looked into dipping my rods or impregnating the rod yet but I might play with that in the future. I have been fortunate to have some mentoring that has helped with the learning curve. I appreciate your kind words on my casting and look forward to learning more about bamboo rod building.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I don't fish two-handed rods or spliced rods like Dave does, but if you ever decide to build an all-around 9' six weight one-hander with scalloping please give me a shout!

flybill

Life of the Party
I'm interested in a two hander Dennis or would love to try it out! Planning on getting a 13' David Reid rod next year.. no relation to James Reid.. will be about a year or two from when I get my deposit in..