Idaho Spring Bear

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
Man…what a week! I never know what’s going to happen when I leave the trailhead but I am never disappointed in the experience. We came out lite again. The only bears we saw all week was a sow and cub. We learned a lot about the area and will make some adjustments for the next trip. We spent the first two days in snow and the final two days shirtless and hiding in the shade.

The hi-light of the trip was seeing the Northern Lights. That has been a dream of mine since I was a little kid. We had already been in there for 5 days and we had no idea they were coming. Friday night was forecasted to be clear and warm so we opted to kick out some beds on a knife ridge and sleep under the stars so we could stay behind our glass until dark. Imagine the shock when it kicked off! I laid on my back until 2:00 am taking it all in…it never got dark! Below is a picture of where I watched the show. IMG_7139.jpegIMG_7140.jpeg
It started off slow and I honestly thought I was hallucinating from dehydration. My partner had fallen asleep before it started. He was up the ridge from me in another spot and I had to yell several times to wake him up once I realized what was happening. IMG_7140.jpegIMG_7139.jpegIMG_7130.jpegIMG_7123.jpegIMG_7122.jpegIMG_7101.jpeg
I took a TON of pics and video initially. I thought it would be fleeting. I had no idea it was going to go on all night long. What an amazing experience!

Coach Potter

Life of the Party
We were so fortunate that it worked out the way it did. Had it happened any of the previous 5 nights we would have missed it as we would have been sound asleep in the tipi long before it kicked off.

Reactions: Zak