Non-Fly How to salmon?

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
My dad would like to catch and eat a salmon, next time he visits. I don’t know what time of year that will be, so I’m guessing resident coho would be the safest bet. What’s the easiest way to get one of those?

Scudley Do Right

Life of the Party
My dad would like to catch and eat a salmon, next time he visits. I don’t know what time of year that will be, so I’m guessing resident coho would be the safest bet. What’s the easiest way to get one of those?
Get on a boat and find them. They usually aren't hard to catch if you can find them.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
This is in the freshwater anadromous form. Are you thinking of river fishing for salmon and does he care about size?
SF

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
This is in the freshwater anadromous form. Are you thinking of river fishing for salmon and does he care about size?
SF

I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in. I assume salmon are best caught in the sound. I don’t think he would enjoy standing in line, with a bunch of other people. I doubt he cares about size; he’s pretty happy catching sardine sized trout.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
If it'll be anytime during the summer/fall I'd probably look at booking one of the Seattle based charters:

Dad won’t go on boats, much to my frustration. We will be strictly on foot.

Divad

Whitefish
Can you give us a general area of which you are willing to travel to? Maybe time of year? I know a couple rivers that offer walk in access away from others in the hot holes. If it’s winter past the fall runs the south sound does well at holding rezzies in the salt.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
I wasn’t sure which forum to put this in. I assume salmon are best caught in the sound. I don’t think he would enjoy standing in line, with a bunch of other people. I doubt he cares about size; he’s pretty happy catching sardine sized trout.

It really is going to depend on the time of the year when your dad is here. That will depend where you’ll be able to fish in the sound.
Most of the sound is closed for salmon fishing except in the summer. The exception to that is MA 13, which is south of the Narrows Bridge and open year round. If it is winter, just go to the Narrows and look for jumping fish in the rips and toss amphipod or euphausiid patterns at them.
If rezzie fishing sucks, at least you’ll be in the heart of searun cutthroat central and can fish for them. Many of the best cutthroat beaches also produce rezzies.
Please note that in recent years the rezzie fishing in my opinion hasn’t been nearly as good as it used to be.
SF

ffb

Chum Bucket
Forum Supporter
It really is going to depend on the time of the year when your dad is here. That will depend where you’ll be able to fish in the sound.
Most of the sound is closed for salmon fishing except in the summer. The exception to that is MA 13, which is south of the Narrows Bridge and open year round. If it is winter, just go to the Narrows and look for jumping fish in the rips and toss amphipod or euphausiid patterns at them.
If rezzie fishing sucks, at least you’ll be in the heart of searun cutthroat central and can fish for them. Many of the best cutthroat beaches also produce rezzies.
Please note that in recent years the rezzie fishing in my opinion hasn’t been nearly as good as it used to be.
SF
I was going to recommend the Narrows for rezzies during the winter as well, but it's been a ghost town out there the last 3 years or so.

jaredoconnor

Peabrain Chub
Forum Supporter
They will most likely come back around summer. Maybe between May and August, next year.

We’re in the Sammamish area, so driving will be mandatory. I don’t mind driving down to Tacoma, but I would be bummed if we didn’t get anything.

Dad’s fly casting isn’t super great - there’s no fly fishing back home, so he doesn’t get any practice. I think a spin rod setup would be more appropriate.

Jagosh

Smolt
What exactly are you asking? If you want the highest odds of catching a salmon then get a guide. However, he doesn’t do boats.

So you want to fish the sound from the bank? Fish a river? Will he adjust his vacation time to better align with runs?

Since this is the dirtbag forum, we aren’t here to bomb casts and discuss form. We focus on giving ourselves the best possible odds of catching a fish by any means possible. Chances are that is bait drifted under a float… tons of YouTube how to videos on that technique.