How do you get flotant gel out of stuff

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Stuff spilled all over my fanny pack a week or so back when I packed hastily for fires close by.
Then the lid got ripped off the bottle, I'm assuming by a branch, and spilt all over my waders.

Just warm water and soap? Any other tricks?
River water didn't work lol.

Just curious before I go to town on em.

Attachments

• 20230831_144246.jpg
    20230831_144246.jpg
    859.3 KB · Views: 24

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Dish soap and a toothbrush works to get flyagra out of my sun hoodies. Something I picked up when I was a bike mechanic

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Laundering my vest helped some, time seems to have done the rest. The fly box that was in the adjacent pocket is still slick. Good question!

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
The above would work just fine...dish soap and water.

Although, I tend to fall into @Matt B 's camp of "fishing patina"...similar with how I roll with my hats.

Totally understand wanting it out if you travel though.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Too much patina for me lol.
Patina would get all over my truck seats, the clothes my waders hang by, ect.

I'll try the dish soap and toothbrush this weekend.
I stopped at the local fly shop on the way out from the river and got some of the powdered floatant to try later.
But yeah, at minimum those gels are going in baggies from now on.

Thanks for the help fellas. And kind of dashing my dreams that there is an easy solution lol

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
All dish soaps are not equal. Use Dawn to break down and remove the gack .

Otter

Steelhead
I'll try the dish soap and toothbrush this weekend.
Did dish soap work? If not, I’ve had good results in removing various gunk with plant-based stain removers. They‘ve worked better for me than old style stinky solvent-based stain removers.

Shad

Life of the Party
If my fishing experience is any indication, all you really have to do is dunk yourself. You'll probably float for a while, and a few fish may strike at you, but after a few minutes, you should start to sink, and then you'll know it's gone. (Probably best to stay fairly shallow when using this technique....)

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Dawn makes this product called "power wash" it's in a spray bottle. It's Dawn on steroids. I used it to take a used cooking oil spill out of the concrete in front of my business, thanks to the careless neighbor.