Hook Model and Size for Salty Salmon

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
What model and size hook do people like to use for coho, pinks, and the occasional king if the fishing Gods bless you with one? I tend to like using the largest hook size I can get away with. I don't see any downside to having more hook. The more gap the better.

Nick

SteelHeadDave

Broskioner
Forum Supporter
Size 2 barbless octopus for stingers. Size 2 SL12S for most standard baitfish patterns. I’d prob step it up if I was truly trying to target kings off the beach.

N. Metz

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Out of habit I used to tie all of my salty salmon flies using Gamakatsu SC15 size 2. That's what my dad always used so that's what I used . I still use em but in the last few years have started tying more of em on Gamakatsu B10S size 4.

Any legitimacy to my "bigger is better" superstition? Larger point means more force is needed to sink the hook into the fish's mouth but I've never thought it made too much of a difference.

When you can get away with bigger hooks, is their any downside to doing so other than potential injury to yourself or the fish? Just so I'm clear, I'm not disregarding injury to the fish. I'm not advocating fishing for salmon with 3/0 flies, just on the larger size of the "normal range".

Nick

Last edited:

mbowers

Smolt
Out of habit I used to tie all of my salty salmon flies using Gamakatsu SC15 size 2. That's what my dad always used so that's what I used . I still use em but in the last few years have started tying more of em on Gamakatsu B10S size 4.

Any legitimacy to my "bigger is better" superstition? Larger point means more force is needed to sink the hook into the fish's mouth but I've never thought it made too much of a difference.

When you can get away with bigger hooks, is their any downside to doing so other than potential injury to yourself or the fish? Just so I'm clear, I'm not disregarding injury to the fish. I'm not advocating fishing for salmon with 3/0 flies, just on the larger size of the "normal range".

Nick
Smaller hooks rip out of kelp more easily than bigger hooks if you are fishing around that stuff. I like #4 to #1 range.

Jake Watrous

Legend
Forum Supporter
#2 and #4 barbless work just fine for me.

I used to use Gamakatsu SC15s, but I've had too many of them bend out in the last couple of years.

copperJon

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I used to use Gamakatsu SC15s, but I've had too many of them bend out in the last couple of years.
Same, but I'll still tie SRC stuff on them.

For non-stingers, TMC811S in size 2-4.

For Stingers, Mustad 34007 base in sizes 2-4. Trailing hook size 1 or 2.