Hook Defect?

afried

Smolt
I just opened a pack of Daiichi 2546 #2 saltwater hooks that I bought within the last year or two - found that all twenty hooks when viewed from above have the eye canted to the left a bit and thus don’t line up straight with the shank. Before putting time and materials into these hooks, I’m concerned whether this defect may negatively affect performance of the fly in the water. I’d appreciate input on whether this is a problem. I’d almost always be using a loop knot with these hooks. Thanks for any help that may be out there.

Andy

Attachments

• 406394B0-C5B6-46FF-94CC-37A22DC14D5B.jpeg
    406394B0-C5B6-46FF-94CC-37A22DC14D5B.jpeg
    545.4 KB · Views: 22

jasmillo

}=)))*>
Forum Supporter
My opinion. Take it with a grain of salt because I don’t tend to geek out about fly design and performance in the water as much as many do. For some species a small issue like that and associated impact to fly performance might make a difference but not likely.

I would tie on those and not think twice. If the imperfection impacts performance, I imagine the effects would be more than outweighed by imperfections of the tie (at least in my case they would be!). In the end though, not sure their would be a performance impact and if their was, I doubt the fish would care.

If your just gonna chuck’m. I’ll take them off your hands at a steep discount :).

Bambooflyguy

Life of the Party
Tie a fly with one, drag it in the water close to you and see if there’s any difference. I doubt it matters to the fish....maybe it might imitate a wounded baitfish better! Let us know....we’ll bend our hook eyes!

afried

Smolt
jasmillo - thanks for the input, and for the offer (respectfully declined). I think your comment about tying imperfections is spot on. I expect it's 50/50 whether any imbalance from the eye offset is mitigated or aggravated by the many imperfections of my ties.

Bambooflyguy - thanks, that is what I'll be doing. I'm reminded of a podcast I recently listened to which included discussion of laterally bending hooks on mayfly spinner patterns to better imitate the naturals.

Andy