Help me identify

AnglerMike

Freshly Spawned
IMG_7236.jpeg

I’m still quite the noob and trying to identify some fish can be tricky sometimes. I’m stuck between calling this guy a SRC or a small Steelhead, what would y’all identify this guy as?

Mike Cline

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Not an SRC but Rainbow (white markings on anal and pelvic fins). Whether or not it is a steelhead is highly dependent on where and when you caught it as it could easily be a resident rainbow as well.

Reactions: JS

AnglerMike

Freshly Spawned
Not an SRC but Rainbow (white markings on anal and pelvic fins). Whether or not it is a steelhead is highly dependent on where and when you caught it as it could easily be a resident rainbow as well.
Cowlitz River Blue Creek boat ramp, I know the hatchery stocks both species, I’ve also heard of Cut-bows which share both characteristics and makes it even harder to identify.

My buddy says it’s a steely but I figured since the SRC are running right now it had to be.

If it truly is a Steelhead I’ll be proudly bragging to everyone that I caught a few swingin on the 4wt 😂

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Cowlitz River Blue Creek boat ramp, I know the hatchery stocks both species, I’ve also heard of Cut-bows which share both characteristics and makes it even harder to identify.

My buddy says it’s a steely but I figured since the SRC are running right now it had to be.

If it truly is a Steelhead I’ll be proudly bragging to everyone that I caught a few swingin on the 4wt 😂
I'm going with a hatchery SRC. The spots below the lateral line and golden hue are what I'm going on.

Also basing that on where you're fishing. It's getting to be prime time for that there.

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Another vote for searun cutt.
SF

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Back in the day, the old-timers called those harvest trout because of their fall colors and timing. Another vote for SRC. Just curious, how long was it?

DanielOcean

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Well everybody I am sure can take a wild guess what my true vote would be but if ya'll say SRC then I guess I will agree.