NFR Hatchery Steelhead causes bad hydroplane wreck.

Non-fishing related

Paul_

Life of the Party
I was helping my dad today at a hydroplane race in Elma.
The lake the race was on has been stocked with surplus hatchery Steelhead.
At this point the Steelhead are zombie fish aimlessly cruising the surface.
IMG_3693.jpeg
At the start of one of the races a hydro hit a fish causing it to flip in front of another boat.
Chaos followed-
IMG_3690.jpeg
Don’t worry, no one was injured (well the fish may have a sore back).
They were radio controlled hydroplanes😄.

Divad

Whitefish
No way!! I literally said this yesterday in a group message that it was going to happen 😆

909E362D-2E05-48BE-8A59-DF6EB2505CD0.jpeg

Why on earth did they choose that lake with all those surface monsters and locals all over wanting jumbos after stocking? Heck the kids pond would have been better.

Paul_

Life of the Party

No way!! I literally said this yesterday in a group message that it was going to happen 😆

View attachment 108828

Why on earth did they choose that lake with all those surface monsters and locals all over wanting jumbos after stocking? Heck the kids pond would have been better.
I’m pretty sure they made the race schedule before the tribes and the state decided not to let anglers fish for hatchery Steelhead in Grays Harbor rivers😃.

Divad

Whitefish
Historically that lake was always stocked with jumbos (not SH) at the end of the month, and if you know Elma, folks looove them. Nothing was in regs or on WDFW, only notice was a sign at the pond Friday stating it’s closure the following day Saturday.

I just think that all could have been handled a lot better. Not directing this at you.

On another note that impact and flying rc must of been quite a site. Maybe annoying but amusing in the end, sort of a fun randomized hazard 🤠