Harry Lemire Day

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Screenshot 2024-02-13 at 7.18.21 PM.png
Harry Lemire Day today. The weather cooperated but the fish didn't. Working my single and double speys back into form...To be really true to form I suppose I should have fished an 8'6" cane rod and an all wood nottingham fly reel.

Last edited:

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Great looking fly Tim. I saw Harry tying classic atlantic salmon flies in hand without a vice at the Washington fly show years ago. Amazing. He taught himself to tie in hand using Pryce-Tannat's How to Dress Salmon Flies.

At that same show Alec Jackson gave me a Spade he'd just finished tying. I had the good sense to frame it and put it in one of my fly plates (top row, second from right).

IMG_1141.jpeg

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Great looking fly Tim. I saw Harry tying classic atlantic salmon flies in hand without a vice at the Washington fly show years ago. Amazing. He taught himself to tie in hand using Pryce-Tannat's How to Dress Salmon Flies.

At that same show Alec Jackson gave me a Spade he'd just finished tying. I had the good sense to frame it and put it in one of my fly plates (top row, second from right).

View attachment 103655

Did you do the mounting and framing yourself?

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
Tied and mounted the flies myself, but I had a friend make the frames. Tim, however did you get possession of a Lemire caddis?

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
Tied and mounted the flies myself, but I had a friend make the frames. Tim, however did you get possession of a Lemire caddis?
Somewhere in the mid 1980's I was invited to join the Washington Steelhead Flyfishers. Every year someone put together a fly plate of flies tied by the members. The plate was then won by a lucky member in a simple drawing from a hat. Myself and another guy volunteered to make the plate for two consecutive years. Typically each member contributed one fly but a few contributed two which was helpful as it gave us a little more leeway to arrange a more visually balanced display. Harry was one who contributed two. We would return the unused fly to it's owner. When I tried to give Harry his unused fly back he just said "Keep it" so I did and I've cherished it ever since.

kerrys

Ignored Member
A couple Harry Lemire stories.

I walked into the Grandy run to find two guys fishing. While I was stringing up my rod one of them got out of the run and walked over to me to tell me he and his friend had the run. I know this guy and likely many here do also but I’m going to leave his name out of the story. I told him I was going to fish the run behind them. The guy got pissed off and and yelled at his buddy he was leaving. His pal was finishing up the tail out as I entered the run. He stopped, said hello, apologized for his friend. I recognized him and said thanks and wished him luck. He thanked me and started walking out. Shortly after he left I hooked and landed a nice native hen. I had just picked Harry’s pocket.

Might have been the same year. I was fishing the Sauk with Homer, many of you might remember Homer. Anyway we were driving along Concrete Sauk Valley road and we spot Harry and the same guy I mentioned before. They were parked at a pullout that borders a piece of state owned land which you can hike across to access the Sauk just above where it joins the Skagit. We pulled over and watched as they attached something to the gate leading into the state land. After Harry and his friend left we drove down to see what they had left on the gate. A no trespassing sign.

Greg Armstrong

Go Green - Fish Bamboo
Forum Supporter
A couple Harry Lemire stories.

I walked into the Grandy run to find two guys fishing. While I was stringing up my rod one of them got out of the run and walked over to me to tell me he and his friend had the run. I know this guy and likely many here do also but I’m going to leave his name out of the story. I told him I was going to fish the run behind them. The guy got pissed off and and yelled at his buddy he was leaving. His pal was finishing up the tail out as I entered the run. He stopped, said hello, apologized for his friend. I recognized him and said thanks and wished him luck. He thanked me and started walking out. Shortly after he left I hooked and landed a nice native hen. I had just picked Harry’s pocket.

Might have been the same year. I was fishing the Sauk with Homer, many of you might remember Homer. Anyway we were driving along Concrete Sauk Valley road and we spot Harry and the same guy I mentioned before. They were parked at a pullout that borders a piece of state owned land which you can hike across to access the Sauk just above where it joins the Skagit. We pulled over and watched as they attached something to the gate leading into the state land. After Harry and his friend left we drove down to see what they had left on the gate. A no trespassing sign.
Good to see your post, it’s a good one.

Salmo_g

Legend
Forum Supporter
but I’m going to leave his name out of the story
I know that guy! A bit of an odd sort, to say the least. Maybe eccentric is the word. A lot of stories could be told about him. He is a good fisherman though. I walked into Dellinger's one time (when it was a productive run) and found him fishing the tailout. He hooked 3 steelhead, pretty much cleaning out the run that day. He was fishing a 2-handed rod. I mention that because a few years later, Harry and he went retro and went back to fishing single hand rods, with Harry mainly fishing his Peter McVey cane rod. S____ told me that it wasn't right to fish for steelhead with 2-handed rods, after he had been doing so for a fair number of years. Yeah, I think eccentric covers it.