Ham Stock Soup

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
Now that Easter has passed, I find myself with a beautiful ham bone that I hate to waste. Eyeballing some ham stock and/or ham bone soup recipes. Curious if anyone has any favorite recipes they can share?

Hopefully everyone had a great Easter!

Smalma

Life of the Party
A longtime favorite (and where the Easter ham bone will go next week) is my "Hammy Beans".

Soak a pound of dried pinto beans overnight in a slow cooker. Pour the excess water off (leaving enough to still cover the beans), add a large can of tomato sauce, dice a whole onion, a healthy dollop of spicey mustard, a couple bay leaves, and the ham bone with plenty of meat attached, (smoked ham hock also work wells). Cook in the slow cooker for at least 10 hours (longer will not hurt). A couple of hours before it is done remove the ham bone and let cool. Remove and shred the meat and add back to the beans. The amount of meat depends how "meaty" you like your beans. Serve with fresh French bread and favorite beverage.

Left overs are good and freeze well.

curt

Yard Sale

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
News Years family tradition is black eyed pea soup with smoked ham hock.

Peas in a bowl to remove any stones, then an overnight soak.
Peas, smoked ham hock, celery, carrot, onion, thyme, rosemary, cayenne, garlic, pepper, veggie stock, guiness all in crock pot on low for 6-8 hours.

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Baby lima beans soaked 8hrs. Saute mirepoux ( celery, onion, carrot). 8 cups water and bone. A little bullion of choice. Spices of choice. Simmer until firm. Pull bone and trim off meat. Add meat. Cook beans to desired tenderness. Add salt to taste. Enjoy. I usually have a grilled cheese sandwich on the side..
My wife and I make a bean soup every week except in the Summer. 16 bean soup mix at Grocery Outlet is the bomb. Winco has great smoked ham hocks to buy..

Guy Gregory

Semi-retired
Forum Supporter
Dried pinto and black beans soaked overnight. Drain and rinse. 1 chopped onion, 1 jalapeño at least, 2 cans chopped green chili, 2cans tomatoes, 2tsp cumin, 2 bay leaves, chili powder to taste ( add more anytime), enough chicken broth mix for 2cups broth, and about 2 tbsp lemon juice. Toss in crock pot withe the bone and some chunks of ham you appropriate as is your right in the morning, eat about 7 after adjusting seasoning to your taste. About 1/2 cup of red wine or bourbon (or both, what the hell) is a legitimate addition. As is brown sugar. Eat with anything, more bbq, a fried egg on top, whatever.

mark wlker

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Best flavor beans I've found so far for our soups; Mayacopa beans.

Brute

Legend
Forum Supporter
Hell yes! I'm a visual learner - appreciate this. Looks tasty.

PS - cool backsplash!
The good news with split peas (I prefer green) is it does not require a presoak...fine chop the veggies, saute in olive oil in your large pot/dutch oven...add ham bone (I trim most of the meat off the bone and reserve), bay leaf or two & thyme sprigs...add 8 cups liquid (I'm using chicken stock, you can use water)...bring to boil, then lower temp and cover to simmer 30-45 mins. Rinse split peas, add to pot and cook another 30 mins...remove bone and cut off any meat left and add back to pot along with reserved meat...simmer another 15-20 mins.

Split pea and ham soup is why hot sauce was invented...