Got a bamboo rod

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Was gifted a bamboo rod by one of my coworkers.
He bought it at a yard sale in 1976. Was old then he said. Smells old.

No branding or marking. He had it rewrapped and shellac'd a while back.

Is it normal for the top section to be bowed to one side like this?

Definitely a limp noodle of a rod. I've never held a bamboo rod until now.

Assuming slower casting? And other quirks to em?

20230609_154808.jpg20230609_154524.jpg20230609_154947.jpg20230609_154542.jpg20230609_154535.jpg

Mike Monsos

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
The "set" (bend) sometimes happens from being a wall hanger or fishing pressure. It's an easy fix with either a hair dryer or some heat from a kettle of water's steam. you slightly heat the area and flex the rod opposite of the set and hold till it cools down. Go easy on the heat, not hot but more than warm.

slow down your casting rhythm and let the rod do the work. Slower is better when it comes to transitioning from plastic to bamboo.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
The "set" (bend) sometimes happens from being a wall hanger or fishing pressure. It's an easy fix with either a hair dryer or some heat from a kettle of water's steam. you slightly heat the area and flex the rod opposite of the set and hold till it cools down. Go easy on the heat, not hot but more than warm.

slow down your casting rhythm and let the rod do the work. Slower is better when it comes to transitioning from plastic to bamboo.

Thank you sir.
That make sense with the heat and bend. I'll get it straightened out.

Now I have to find a reel. I noticed there is another thread on that, so I'll leave amy questions on that out.

jact55

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Hmm. Not sure if this helps lol.
Lower/larger section, round.
Center and top section- hex

There is a spare tippet section that is round also.

I sell bamboo plywood at work, it looks like bamboo. Has the grain and "knuckles".
If fiberglass, then they did a heck of a paint job. But obviously I don't know shit.

Weight is very light. Seems lighter than a modern fly pole.

jerry

Steelhead
Looks to be bamboo to me. I think someone may have used sandpaper to remove the varnish in the past and rounded the bamboo a little. I am concerned about the use of "shellac" as a finish. Shellac doesn't offer must water protection.