Gorilla 5 minute epoxy

flybill

Life of the Party
Bought this to glue some wooden handles on a knife that a friend gave me a long.time ago.

Any downsides to use this for epoxy head flies? I'm going to use it, but curious if others use it. I have the epoxy drying spinner..
20240105_090532.jpg

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Old school versus UV but it will work.
Used to use epoxy a lot back in the day.
I still have my old spinning wheel as well.

Not sure about now based on the formulas used today or that brand, but some of the old Devcon 5 minute stuff I used back then yellowed pretty badly over time.
30 minute, not so much.
SF

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have used that exact product for heads. It works well and I find the heads to be durable. Royal pain in the ass though

tkww

Steelhead
My understanding is that the shorter the drying time, the more prone it is to yellowing. (So 5 minute more prone than 30 minute more prone than 2 hr.) But a gajillion flies have been tied with 5 minute.

flybill

Life of the Party
Bill, water and sunlight are both enemies of epoxy
I just bought this today.. Funny, I had some Gorilla Glue, very old and unopened, and it was completely haredened. It was stored, in a cool dark place, but I learned that it only has a shelf life of 12 to 24 months.. Lesson learned! I figured the epoxy might work better for my application with the knife handle and will try it on some flies too. Plus I have a couple of rods that I need to glue the handles onto, after I build a jig.

Pink Nighty

Life of the Party
For me personally, there is nothing I dislike more than waiting for glue/epoxy to dry while I'm tying. If I'm still gonna tie, I want the one thats done out of the vice so I can keep it rolling. But I'm highly ADHD so YMMV

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
For me personally, there is nothing I dislike more than waiting for glue/epoxy to dry while I'm tying. If I'm still gonna tie, I want the one thats done out of the vice so I can keep it rolling. But I'm highly ADHD so YMMV
I have two vises set up. Helps with the Sally Hansen and when using UV I can batch them two at a time.

I just bought this today.. Funny, I had some Gorilla Glue, very old and unopened, and it was completely haredened. It was stored, in a cool dark place, but I learned that it only has a shelf life of 12 to 24 months.. Lesson learned! I figured the epoxy might work better for my application with the knife handle and will try it on some flies too. Plus I have a couple of rods that I need to glue the handles onto, after I build a jig.
I had some Flexcoat epoxy that was crystallizing and had to warm it up in hot tap watet to get back to liquid. I wonder if it would work the same on gorilla glue unless it is completely solid.

flybill

Life of the Party
I had some Flexcoat epoxy that was crystallizing and had to warm it up in hot tap watet to get back to liquid. I wonder if it would work the same on gorilla glue unless it is completely solid.
It was completely solid. I just threw it away. I thought about trying to warm it up, but wanted to fix the knife once.. so hope the epoxy and some clamps work better and will fix it correctly the first time...

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
When that stuff became popular for salty flies in the 90s fly rod manufacturers began to rethink their “lifetime warranties” due to the requests for rod repairs. Final results: Epoxy 1….. Graphite 0

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
I use 30 minutes epoxy on all my popper heads and it works wonders. Super tuff coat. Non yellowing etc. Will catch hundreds of bass on same popper. Can mix with colors and sparkle.

5 minute has a super fast window to work with and I think has more chance of yellowing.

rattlesnake

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
As others have said, yellowing.

I typically used rod building epoxy on my poppers. Longer dry time allowed me more time to mix up a batch and coat 5-8 poppers. Point is if I was mixing up epoxy, I liked to do it in a large enough batch so wanted longer cure times. I also used a fly dryer which was a disco ball turning motor outfitted with a plastic jar lid with foam inside. Wasn’t fancy but worked enough.