Goodnews River Alaska Float

Long overdue report, been a busy few weeks after. Had a backcountry river float on the Goodnews River in late August/early September. SW Alaska had been getting hammered with rain. We showed up and learned no flights had gone out for two days which led to seeing way more of Bethel than we hoped. Got lucky and were able to jump the queue due to location of our float with only a day of delay to our trip of seven days.

Had a break in the weather and got to start with clear skies, sun, and good spirits.

A830E7BB-B8B1-4C25-91A3-C88B2D33081B.jpeg

Found some stinky rotten pinks right out of the lake and they provided side action for much of the trip.

AAB3DA63-DF52-4FF1-B87D-9F19905B421D.jpegCCE2CA84-70CE-49CA-B34B-462718BC1F89.jpeg

Got in to some nice rainbows late on the first day and early second and hopes were high.

C1405CFA-0778-4728-975D-C00E41F875FF.jpeg20DE98AA-7C4B-4828-8F7D-D76673F17F87.jpeg28F68080-2C89-4717-9C87-D8940EA35669.jpeg

Got to a slow non-fishy stretch of river and decided to pick up the pace and cover some ground to make up time. Turns out we should have spent more time up high where we found some nice bows. Saw plenty of wildlife though and missed a pic of the wolf we saw.

87C34060-D359-4289-B037-49B4B7F9C0DA.jpegF0631434-CBD0-4D44-8200-7A02AD0D64E1.jpegAF77CF01-34A8-49C4-B814-757144A2D01E.jpeg

To be continued….

Last edited:

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Nice! I did that trip probably 25 years ago with my dad. We landed in the lake in a Grumman Goose and offloaded the raft. There were four of us and a guide who used to do a few trips each year. Dad landed a bright red pink and as we moved downriver, we landed big rainbows, grayling, char, and then lots of silvers. In our last camp before the “shuttle“ showed up to tow us to the Native village for our flight out, we kept some silvers to take home. We bagged them and put them inside of a cooler that was placed in another cooler far from camp on the gravel bar. Early in the morning, we heard a cooler slam and the guide reached for his shotgun. The bear got away with all of the fish in the black garbage bag, a convenient carrier…. Someday I would like to do that trip again.

Long overdue report, been a busy few weeks after. Had a backcountry river float on the Goodnews River in late August/early September. SW Alaska had been getting hammered with rain. We showed up and learned no flights had gone out for two days which led to seeing way more of Bethel than we hoped. Got lucky and were able to jump the queue due to location of our float with only a day of delay to our trip of seven days.

Had a break in the weather and got to start with clear skies, sun, and good spirits.

View attachment 35219

Found some stinky rotten pinks right out of the lake and they provided side action for much of the trip.

View attachment 35220View attachment 35221

Got in to some nice rainbows late on the first day and early second and hopes were high.

View attachment 35226View attachment 35222View attachment 35223

Got to a slow non-fishy stretch of river and decided to pick up the pace and cover some ground to make up time. Turns out we should have spent more time up high where we found some nice bows. Saw plenty of wildlife though and missed a pic of the wolf we saw.

View attachment 35227View attachment 35228View attachment 35229

To be continued….
You must be living right! Super photo of the eagle.

muknuk

Smolt
Great report and thanks for caring for the rainbows! I was a guide and pilot many years ago and still get up there every year to explore the unexplored. I am now exploring the upper Stikine and Taku Rivers for large rainbows that have been hiding out in deep beaver ponds. I am also exploring some new rivers with no access close to Bethel.

Shad

Life of the Party
Those rainbows...coolest fish in Alaska for my money. Such awesome specimens.

Looks like a great trip!

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Did this trip back in 2004. DIY. We spent a couple days in Dillingham pre float trip and fished the Wood river system for sockeye and rainbows to whet the appetite and crack a few graphite fibers in the 6-7-8-9 weights. The plane ride to Good News Lake was loud and low…you could see all the animal trails that led to the rivers not to mention all the bears spotted from the plane. It was a 7 day float before we got towed in to a village much like mentioned above. We saw no one until the third day and that was a group of fly fisherman and photographers from Europe… we would see them only a couple more times. Around the 6th day was the first time seeing some tent cabins and a couple jet sleds. It was pretty much an adventure in isolation as you can get. Anyways. I’m getting long winded. The fly that stoked the show for catching silvers was the ‘Space Creature’. But I believe it goes by a couple other names which I have forgotten.

Black/orange and purple/chartreuse combo.

Two flies on top …. Space creature
(this was one of my Alaskan boxes)

IMG_3729.jpeg

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
Great report and thanks for caring for the rainbows! I was a guide and pilot many years ago and still get up there every year to explore the unexplored. I am now exploring the upper Stikine and Taku Rivers for large rainbows that have been hiding out in deep beaver ponds. I am also exploring some new rivers with no access close to Bethel.
wow...visions of 'first' landings and untapped beast bow's...