Good Rod for Swinging Spoons

Long_Rod_Silvers

Elder Millennial
Forum Supporter
I'm looking at getting a casting rod for swinging spoons. Intrigued by the G Loomis e6x, but curious if anyone has any other make/model suggestions. Or heck, any suggestions at all about what to look for in a good spoon swingin' rod. New territory for me, so not really too sure about what to look for. Thanks!

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I like an 8' or 8.5' rod, personally. I run a Loomis GL3. Can't remember which action/power it is though, and don't want to run out to the shop to look. But I'd say medium to medium light would be about right.

brownheron

corvus ossifragus
Same as the above - medium weight in the 86-90 length, casting. I have a couple customs built on Sage gear rod blanks which have a bit of a (probably unwarranted) cult following.

Look at EDGE too. Sometimes they are slow if the rods aren’t in stock but I have no complaints about the rods themselves. My dynamic duo that I hike around with below. The pin is a Sage X 7126 blank - I’m a bit of a Sage gomer.

Grandpa Jim

Steelhead
I have used an Okuma Guide Select Pro 9', medium, 8-17 lbs. spinning rod for the last 2 years to swing spoons and spinners on the OP for steelhead. Okuma makes the same model in a casting version. The Guide Select Pro rod is light, stiff and has a carbon fiber handle that transmits lure vibration well, even to my gloved hand. I chuck 2/5 & 2/3 oz. spoons and size 4 spinners with it. It's under $200 and has held up well while also tossing BuzzBombs in Puget Sound for coho.

Ian Broadie

Smolt
Forum Supporter
I got to finally try out my new Okuma Guide Select Pro 9'9" 15 - 30, I believe that's the designation, weekend before last and it's wonderful for swinging spoons. You can get a nice easy high stick with 0 effort which saves your shoulder over the long haul.

Jerry Daschofsky

The fishing camp cook
Forum Legend
I've always used longer medium action rods for spinners and spoons. Dad and I used to build them on fly blanks back when 8'6" was about as long as you'd get out of a gear rod. I have 2 rods I use from the bank. A 9'6" and 10' in 6-15# and 10-20# ratings. Now from the boats I'll use an 8'6" to 9'6".

speedbird

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I have used an Okuma Guide Select Pro 9', medium, 8-17 lbs. spinning rod for the last 2 years to swing spoons and spinners on the OP for steelhead. Okuma makes the same model in a casting version. The Guide Select Pro rod is light, stiff and has a carbon fiber handle that transmits lure vibration well, even to my gloved hand. I chuck 2/5 & 2/3 oz. spoons and size 4 spinners with it. It's under $200 and has held up well while also tossing BuzzBombs in Puget Sound for coho.
I have the baitcasting version of that rod and love it to death. Personally I find 9’ is long enough to mend most Steelhead drifts but others may disagree. It’s a joy to cast, and feels a notch better above my equally loved SST. Best of all is the lifetime warranty, that Okuma warranty really well. I broke the tip last salmon season and a couple quick emails, screenshot of my credit card transaction, and warranty card photo was enough to get a free tip sent to me