Good day in October

I floated the upper Yak back in October during the week. There were only 2 other guys floating and only 2 bankers. The consensus report from all of us was it was pretty slow considering all the damn October caddis flying around. I missed a great fish on the first run. He came out from an undercut like a damn torpedo, but just nipped at my streamer. No hook up. Would have been a good one. Damn...At least it got the blood flowing!
I had the 4wt Aetos throwing a OPST Skagit 175g head and a olive sculpzilla thingy. I love the single-hand skagit thing for this section.

It was tough sledding the next hour or so. I wasn't catching fish in all the spots I usually do. Wet or dry. Especially in October during the caddis hatch. But, this section can often be cranky until 11 or noon. Sure enough, about noon the BWOs started poppin. I switched to the 3wt dry fly setup.
I saw a fish rising on a nice seam and tied on a #16 Adams and wham. This nice colored up cutty.
20211008_152652.jpg

I had a couple small bows on the Adams as well, but nothing else.
The good news is it was a gorgeous day.
20211008_150408.jpg

Towards the end of my float I got lucky with another pretty cutt about the same size as the first. Got this one on a caddis.

20211008_152724.jpg

Did I mention it was a beautiful day? Probably too nice.

20211008_110557_HDR.jpg

So fishing was tough, but still a great day. Really wished I could have seen that big one that I missed!

Oh and, make sure you have your Discover pass displayed at Bullfrog. I had a nice surprise waiting for me. :mad: The good news is I didn't have to pay the whole thing after I sent in a copy of my pass to the fine folks at Kittitas County Sheriff. Like, we can send millions of dollars securely across the internet, but the dude checking Discovery passes at Bullfrog can't run my plates to see that I have, in fact, purchased my pass? C'mon man.

This was my 3rd or 4th annual early October mid-week day trip in a row hitting the upper Yak. How many before it's a thing? 😉

Sam Roffe

If a man ain't fishing...
Forum Supporter
My buddy and I floated the Canyon 2 days in October. We were suppose to be fishing Coho over on the Peninsula, and one of those atmospheric river events was upon us. So we decided to fish the Yakima. We both came to the conclusion we enjoy the sun and warmth over the wet windy weather of the OP. Trout fishing is so civilized.

Divad

Whitefish
Sept/Oct are my favorite times on that river! Nice cuttie colors 🤙

My .02 I’d suggest tucking your discovery pass in the the passenger corner of the windshield. It’s out of the way not dangling from your mirror and there for whenever you may need it.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Sept/Oct are my favorite times on that river! Nice cuttie colors 🤙

My .02 I’d suggest tucking your discovery pass in the the passenger corner of the windshield. It’s out of the way not dangling from your mirror and there for whenever you may need it.
That's a great idea. I would probably still want to hang it, but at least if I forgot it would be there where, hopefully, they would see it.

Dave Westburg

Fish the classics
Forum Supporter
I too was ticketed at Bullfrog for failing to show a discover pass years ago. Foolishly showed up in court to contest. Got the fine cut in half but not dismissed. It was low level theater listening to all the forfeited driver license stories which preceded me like this:

Supplicant: Sir, you need to restore my drivers license because live far away and can't get to work or anyplace.

Kittitas County Judge: You didn't by any chance drive here today?

A delicious long, long pause in which you can almost hear the rusty gears working in the supplicant's brain.

Supplicant: uuuuuuuh. I had a friend drive me.

skyriver

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I too was ticketed at Bullfrog for failing to show a discover pass years ago. Foolishly showed up in court to contest. Got the fine cut in half but not dismissed. It was low level theater listening to all the forfeited driver license stories which preceded me like this:

Supplicant: Sir, you need to restore my drivers license because live far away and can't get to work or anyplace.

Kittitas County Judge: You didn't by any chance drive here today?

A delicious long, long pause in which you can almost hear the rusty gears working in the supplicant's brain.

Supplicant: uuuuuuuh. I had a friend drive me.
At least you got some entertainment. They do it by mail now. Mail in a copy of your pass and they knock it in half. Still hurt, but not as bad. I didn't let it ruin a good day.