Glass Conundrum - what would you do?

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
So here's an unexpected twist and I'm not sure what to do. I have a hard to find, very sweet casting Phillipson MF76L fiberglass rod. It is the hard to find 7-1/2' "HEH" or 5 weight. Most were the MF76 (no "L") six weight rods. Originally it was an tan'ish yellow with green wraps. By the time I found it in a junktiques store it showed years of abuse with so many paint chips and scratches and with its guides in such bad shape that I decided to strip it and rewrap it. But to my surprise, the two sections were different colors (see photo).

Maybe this indicates different types of glass or resins in the two sections? At any rate, now I don't know what to do. Do I just wrap it as is and have a two-toned rod? If I do that should I apply a few coats of TruOil to give it a shine and some protection? Or should I venture into the world of blank painting? And if I repaint the blank, what type or types of paint do I use and how should they be applied? I saw one video that suggested Krylon Fusion as a base and a clear coat over the base, both sprayed on using canisters. I'd like the group's knowledge or advice and what you think would be the best thing to do? Thanks!

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
Of course choice is yours, buy if it were my rod and it casted great as is. Just wrap it up and have an unique two-tone conversation starter.
I'm with this guy. Mainly because I don't have any faith in spray paints.

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
Of course choice is yours, buy if it were my rod and it casted great as is. Just wrap it up and have an unique two-tone conversation starter.
Yep, that! ☝️

Either that or completely strip it down and rebuild it. I mean, it's got the guts....some folks like the skin.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have it on good authority that two toned rods are going to be all the rage this coming season.

On the other hand you'll have to do some research about appropriate coatings that have the grip and the flexibility if you want to paint it.

VAGABOND

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I’ll make it 5 votes for not messin’ with karma. What I see of the cork & blank(s) I’d roll with it as is.

The old adage…if it ain’t broke, don’t mess with it, applies

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Well it sure sounds unanimous - keep it stripped to its funky two-tone base I found once the original paint was removed. Next question - would a few coats of Tru Oil adhere to the glass? Or is there someone who can coach me in applying an even, light coat of spar varnish? I'd like to do something to give it back a little of its original gloss before I replace the guides.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
to keep surfboards light (mine) by not applying a final gloss coat, once the board has been sanded the fibreglass is sealed with an acrylic floor sealer. Behr Premium concrete, brick and tile Low-Lustre sealer is the go to for many a surfboard glass shop. I've resealed old surfboards using it, should work fine for your flyrod.

@Dryflyphotography

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
to keep surfboards light (mine) by not applying a final gloss coat, once the board has been sanded the fibreglass is sealed with an acrylic floor sealer. Behr Premium concrete, brick and tile Low-Lustre sealer is the go to for many a surfboard glass shop. I've resealed old surfboards using it, should work fine for your flyrod.
Do you know if it would freely flex a lot? That old rod is very full flexing.

Tim Cottage

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I know of at least one well respected bamboo rod maker that uses Waterlox original formula sealer. I have one of his rods.
Waterlox is available as gloss, semi gloss and satin. It says for interior use but your rod spends 99% of its life interior. They sell a small 2oz container. Just right for new rods or touch up.
So we know it is flexible enough but as for how well it will adhere to fiberglass remains to be discovered. Maybe contact Waterlox Products to discuss.

Last edited:

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
I would think so. You can pick up a surfboard built as I decribed, pop the tail with your heel, and watch the entired board vibrate/flex. This sealer is specifically designed for fiberglass.