Getting Settled in Nevada

I've had a pretty busy summer and haven't been able to get out to fish as much as I want to, like most. But realizing that the summer was quickly drifting away, I headed out on the local creek for a quick post-work session. I was teaching a new friend how to fly fish, but he got the double nymph rig wrapped around the rod so I gave him a dry fly rig and sent him down the river a bit. He had been fishing a deeper hole, and after I untangled the rig I kept fishing where he was but extended my drift further down. I saw the bobber dive and set the hook only to see this monster flop out of the water and start making charging runs up and downstream. My buddy ran over and after a good fight, he helped net it, but in doing so, he lost his footing and completely dunked in the deeper pool. Even though he was completely submerged - head underwater, he held the net aloft and the fish remained in it, thankfully. It turned out to be my personal best brown trout. I bought him a 6-pack of 805 for his dedication

IMG_2976 2.jpeg
IMG_2971.jpeg

IMG_2965.jpeg

it was the kind of fish that gets you re-addicted to fly fishing after a short hiatus.

Skol_Engh

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I took a Monday off and drove down to check out a pretty famous river in the area. The water has been high all season but because the levels had leveled off I figured the fishing had to be decent as fish would have settled into haunts. Had a good amount of success nymphing but ended the day wading down the middle of the river and hitting bank shots with a big dolly lama. Ended the day hooking into this slabby rainbow that I had to chase downstream to net.

swampdonkey.jpg
shoulders.jpg
release.jpg

He was hanging out in the middle of the river:

swingwater.jpg
dollylama.jpg

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
I took a Monday off and drove down to check out a pretty famous river in the area. The water has been high all season but because the levels had leveled off I figured the fishing had to be decent as fish would have settled into haunts. Had a good amount of success nymphing but ended the day wading down the middle of the river and hitting bank shots with a big dolly lama. Ended the day hooking into this slabby rainbow that I had to chase downstream to net.

View attachment 82338
View attachment 82339
View attachment 82340

He was hanging out in the middle of the river:

View attachment 82341
View attachment 82342
Well done, Peter!! Call me jealous!

Jim in Anacortes

Life of the Party
I ate a brown trout that was going to die anyway after I caught it in the Eastern Sierras. I took my time, and carefully photographed it as it lay there dying. When I got back to the city, I had the photo blown up to exactly the 19" length of the fish. I cut the image out from the background and glued it to a wooden board. (The poor man's fish mount). Every time I looked at that photo on my wall it reminded me of the beautiful ruby red fillets that I cooked over a fire.

Last edited:

NRC

I’m just here so I don’t get mined
Forum Supporter
I've had a pretty busy summer and haven't been able to get out to fish as much as I want to, like most. But realizing that the summer was quickly drifting away, I headed out on the local creek for a quick post-work session. I was teaching a new friend how to fly fish, but he got the double nymph rig wrapped around the rod so I gave him a dry fly rig and sent him down the river a bit. He had been fishing a deeper hole, and after I untangled the rig I kept fishing where he was but extended my drift further down. I saw the bobber dive and set the hook only to see this monster flop out of the water and start making charging runs up and downstream. My buddy ran over and after a good fight, he helped net it, but in doing so, he lost his footing and completely dunked in the deeper pool. Even though he was completely submerged - head underwater, he held the net aloft and the fish remained in it, thankfully. It turned out to be my personal best brown trout. I bought him a 6-pack of 805 for his dedication

View attachment 82328
View attachment 82330

View attachment 82325

it was the kind of fish that gets you re-addicted to fly fishing after a short hiatus.
I was worried you wouldn’t have any dinguses to fish with after you left WA, glad you found a worthy replacement!