Get flies down in fast water

O clarkii lewisi

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I have a few spots that I fish in small rivers that are a very fast deep troughs of water. This section gets very narrow, very fast and I think gets to about 10 feet deep. It is loaded with fish and I would like to get down to them (if possible). The section just above this very fast and deep water is not such that I can cast up in to and hope that I get my flies down before they hit the fast, deep water. It is a short fast deep run and I would love to get my flies near the bottom. I am fishing a floater on a 5 wt with a couple of nymphs - one of which is tungsten weighted. I have tried split shot and maybe I just need a bunch more but am wondering if this forum brain trust has any additional ideas. Could I use a weighted line in this instance? Would a weighted leader help? If more split shot is recommended could you tell me how much and how many feet between weight and flies? Thanks in advance for any ideas. :)

mcswny

Legend
Forum Supporter
Try a drop shot style/type method for a fast quick deep pool/run.

Good luck.
This. Tie a double overhand knot (or whatever knot you want) and stack as much shot above the knot as necessary. The knot acts as a stopper. Then 12-18 above that double surgeon on a 8” tag then another 18” above that another tag. The shot will take you down, but you nymphs will stay slightly suspended above the bottom to prevent snagging. Plus it’s easy to add and remove weight as necessary

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
I fish a couple spots like that. Heavy flies with materials that move. For the bottom fly last year a conehead muddler (this year playing with a slumpbuster type fly), 24" above on 6" dropper a beadhead hares ear softhackle, 24" above that something smaller still on a dropper. 5' butt from a tapered leader, 18" 0X sighter to a ring, for that depth maybe 5' 3X to first fly, and all sections below 3x. Smaller would get down better but I have trouble casting, and snags, and an occasional fish lost if I go 4x or smaller. Use a tight line technique if you can, keep line off the water, pull/drag will raise your offerings in the water column.. If you need to cast and drift lengthen out the leader above the first fly.

WonderBrad

Steelhead
I've run into the same problem and I am a designer, so this is my solution:bead chain swivel_.jpg
I got frustrated with split shot and twist-on lead strips. They move and fall off too much. This solution creates a cast-able bump rig. It rolls along the rocks and resists catching on bottom stuff. Unweighted or floating flies hover above this rolling weight. It's flexible so it is less like a brick than split shot or lead putty. You can even drop a second nymph off the tie in point. Casts pretty well and is my go to for deep swing streamers in faster current or down in deep pockets. Kinda like a super sink tip. This has improved my ability to fish effectively down deep . Currently experimenting with foam "booby type" flies and wigglers with this rig . Fly floats up and struggles off the bottom in current...

Search:"Brad's killer bead chain swivel" on amazon

-WonderBrad

DerekWhipple

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
If you have a conventional tapered leader, that is going to impede your sink rate. If this is a specific spot, what I would do is tie a tippet ring to the end of your tapered leader, and when you get to this spot, cut off your tippet, and tie on a piece of tippet as long and as thin as you dare, like 6-10 feet of 4 to 6x. I wouldn't go bigger than 4x unless there are monster fish there. Tie on a large nymph with lead and a tungsten bead or two larger than 4mm, or a micro streamer with a bunch of weight The fly should be sparse and slim to sink fast. High stick it and keep as much line/leader off the water as possible. If it is a fast chute/run, the fish won't be very picky, since any possible food is whipping by. Split shot will obviously get it down, but you won't get as good of contact with your fly. The long thin tippet and heavy fly gives you a direct line.

The hotshot euro nymphers will fish small flies with small tungsten beads in pretty fast water, and they still get the flies down because they use very thin tippet and the flies are slim and sparse. I talked to a Deschutes guide who uses 7x when he nymphs. The thinner your tippet, the better your sink rate. Conventional fly rods might have a tough time keeping you buttoned on 6 or 7x in heavy water though, the euro rod is a big help with that.

...Or you can go the Charlie Brooks route and use the fastest sinking line you can get, and a giant stone fly nymph triple wrapped with fuse wire.