gear price jumps

Billy

Big poppa
Staff member
Admin
These new Scientific Angler Magnitude saltwater clear tip and full clear fly lines are expensive at $180 apiece, but look very interesting. They only offer it in the classic SA tropical saltwater tapers for bonefish, tarpon, permit, etc. This is not a threat to the budget of the Cortland peach loving PNW trout angler. If SA has truly solved the tangling and fogging issues with other clear saltwater tropical lines it would be worth the price. Has anyone here tested these Magnitude fly lines? The SA "Grand Slam" taper is one of my favorites. I imagine this would be popular with dedicated permit anglers.
View attachment 112099

This will probably be pretty mind blowing for some but I really want to give some of those lines a try for big bass stuff with my 10 and 11 sticks

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
These new Scientific Angler Magnitude saltwater clear tip and full clear fly lines are expensive at $180 apiece, but look very interesting. They only offer it in the classic SA tropical saltwater tapers for bonefish, tarpon, permit, etc. This is not a threat to the budget of the Cortland peach loving PNW trout angler. If SA has truly solved the tangling and fogging issues with other clear saltwater tropical lines it would be worth the price. Has anyone here tested these Magnitude fly lines? The SA "Grand Slam" taper is one of my favorites. I imagine this would be popular with dedicated permit anglers.
View attachment 112099

I dunno, for me, they'd have to have solved the "crazing" or "yellowing" issue of the clear section that's been an issue over the last decade or so. I know that the last 2 clear tips I had did that even with proper cleaning . Is there a secret method to prevent it?

clarkman

average member
Forum Supporter
This will probably be pretty mind blowing for some but I really want to give some of those lines a try for big bass stuff with my 10 and 11 sticks
honestly, I wouldn't mind giving them a go for muskies too....but damn, that sticker shock!

DimeBrite

Saltwater fly fisherman
If I fished for extra spooky bonefish on Oahu, I'd be very tempted to use the SA Magnitude Bonefish lines.

They would be useful for presenting to spooky migratory tarpon in crystal clear water too.

Last edited:

Dustin Chromers

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
honestly, I wouldn't mind giving them a go for muskies too....but damn, that sticker shock!

How could they be better than my old still flexible saltwater taper wulff lines? How does one improve on perfection? You don't. I've experienced good and great lines. At some point refining and rebranding just becomes repackaging old ideas...... With giant spools, paperwork, pictures, and a fancy sticker to let tweakers know where the high dollar pawn fishing gear is.

Otter

Steelhead
I try not to post too many whining posts, but I don't recall seeing a price jump like this for a fly line...

View attachment 111867

And here I was just getting used to $99 as being the standard for "top of the line" lines...
$180 US is $246 Canadian. That’s nuts. Here in B.C., the minimum wage per hour is $16.75, and it’s $16.28 in Washington state; much the same. But I don’t know how our average wages compare.
In any case, basic American-made flylines work just fine for me, like SA’s Aircel and Headstart. Hell, I was fishing a 1960’s level C line the other day, and it did everything I needed it to do: overhead, roll, and Spey casts. Sure, it doesn’t float as well as modern lines, but it’s “good enough for the girls I go out with”, as we used to say pre-PC.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
444 Peach
Just got a new WF6F for my Steffen and Leonard. Just fishes right. The old one just got too much mistreatment long ago.
still have 444 SL minties in the mix,
My favorite line for my vintage 9' 6wt Sage GFL. Still fishing the original line.

I can see the fancy lines and high prices, a lot of technology in what in reality is not a large market. I can see what the advantages of some of the new lines would be compared to my old 444 type 6, for example, Shooting head for quick loading, intermediate running line. I might pony up at some point. I kinda look at things as $$$ per trip or use, but often just will it increase my enjoyment of fishing (or safety). I think that's always the capitol system choice relationship for those with at least some means but still a budget.

RCF

Life of the Party
Just got a new WF6F for my Steffen and Leonard. Just fishes right. The old one just got too much mistreatment long ago.

My favorite line for my vintage 9' 6wt Sage GFL. Still fishing the original line.

I can see the fancy lines and high prices, a lot of technology in what in reality is not a large market. I can see what the advantages of some of the new lines would be compared to my old 444 type 6, for example, Shooting head for quick loading, intermediate running line. I might pony up at some point. I kinda look at things as $$$ per trip or use, but often just will it increase my enjoyment of fishing (or safety). I think that's always the capitol system choice relationship for those with at least some means but still a budget.

I agree. Cortland lines match 'vintage' graphite rods and fiberglass rods much better than the 'new technology' lines IMHO - at least for non-tropical and big game fish. Longevity is amazing for those lines too. With Cortland lines, e.g. Peach, Sylk, 444, I measure $$ spent per decade rather than $$$ spent per season for many of the new lines. While the new lines cast further, faster, and easier; as long as I can cast 40' - 60' (at most) and get the fly where I want it, I am a happy camper.