Gear advice: Switch rod for beach fishing?

Natefeeshes884

Freshly Spawned
Hello, hope everyone is having a great Saturday.

Im hoping to receive some advice about switch rods, specifically about their potential as both a beach fishing rod and a stream fishing rod.

To preface, I have a solid foundation of single hand fly fishing knowledge and have a healthy collection of rods ranging from 4-7wt. I fish for basically all salmonoid species found on Vancouver Island.

However, I have barely scratched the surface of the two handed rod world and im looking for advice so I dont throw my paycheque down the drain buying less than ideal equipment.

I have recently been looking at a Beulah G2 Opal Switch surf rod in either 5/6wt or 7/8wt as the prospect of punching out casts with relative ease is appealing and I find shoulder soreness a burden on multi day trips. More than anything I am simply intrigued by two handed fly rods and I am interested in adding more tools to the toolbox per se. I currently run a single hand 10’ 7wt for beach fishing pinks and coho + nymphing/ swinging for steelhead (really just an all purpose salmon/steelhead rig). I also gravitate towards a 9’ 6wt for beach fishing SRC and pretty much all other trout fishing.

With all that out of the way my main questions that im struggling with are the following:

1. Would a switch rod provide a significant benefit to surf casting over a single hand rod (achieve more distance with less effort?). Is it worth springing for a two handed surf rod or would it just be optimal to stick with the one hander?

2. Would the Beulah rod I mentioned above or a similar switch rod also preform well for swinging flies in streams? I am fully aware that a proper full spey setup is optimal but im only looking at purchasing one rod at the moment and I would like the primary function of this rod to be surf casting - more on this in the last question.

3. I am leaning towards pulling the trigger on the 5/6wt switch rod as I am under the impression that it can handle coho + steelhead- but I could also use the rod to fish for SRC in a pinch. To my understanding a 5/6 switch is a fair bit more powerful than a 5/6 single hand rod, not to mention the Beulah is a faster action which probably gives it a bit more butt section. The one review I have found on the rod makes it sound like the 5/6wt is right in the pocket for coho/ steelhead but I am also weary of reviews posted on the manufacturers website… Im wondering if this might be a little too much wishful thinking and im really just hamstringing myself on both fronts with a less-than-ideal setup for salmon and trout when I should be looking at the 7/8 for salmon/steelhead and going with lighter rods for trout.

Essentially this boils down to, should I just stick with the single hand rods for beach fishing and forget about switch rods- maybe look into a spey rod down the road

OR

Spring for the switch rod and use it to beach fish/ swing flies on streams. If this is the case would the 5/6wt be just fine or jump up to the 7/8wt?

Apologies for the long winded question. Any info/ advice/ opinions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Nate

flybill

Life of the Party
I personally think switch rods / spey rods are overkill for beach fishing. Puget Sound in general, but beaches overall. While you can do it, landing a fish on a longer rod is a pain. I've done it with 11' rods and I don't really cast any further than my 6wt 9' beach rod. For stripping and landing a fish the single handers work great. I think most of it is personal preference, so I'm not going to say people shouldn't use a switch/surf/spey rod on the beach. But for me I don't see any significant advantage over a standard single handed rod. But I do know how to cast both, a long way, so i might be biased!

Cheers!

Wetswinger

Go Deep
Forum Supporter
Nate, go over to the Washington Flyfishing blog. Search for "Let's Talk Two Handed Beach Rods "...Wetswinger, Jan. 26, 2020..we had a long in-depth discussion on this subject. This was before we all left and came over to this, our favorite site. I'm a big fan of 2-hand beach rod fishing.

Kado

Steelhead
I like to use my two hander if it’s a really high tide and no backcast room. Sweep the tip and leader toward the beach so you don’t lose that last few feet of stripping.

fatbillybob

Steelhead
Nate, you on right track. I come from singlehand rod world and fully Immersed in 2 hand world. I started using Spey rods in the surf to Spey and overhead casting. i like the faster rods like ACR elt, more scandi rods than skagit rods. A scandi rod and a 2H beach rod are closer to the action of fast SH rod so more familiar to me than the slow progressive deep loading fiberglass and old graphite of 1980s That no one really uses anymore unless nostalgic. I have the gen 1 Beulah opal 7/8 and it fishes really nice overhead as designed and it will cast Spey with scandi line well too. For smaller river I think SH rod or switch or Beulah opal beach rod are fine to target steelhead. I think the opal is a good one quiver rod. Echo beach boost is another beach rod. I found it too slow and deeper loading to the handle more like a relabeled Spey rod. The opal feels more like any fast action SH rod but you added line speed activating the lower grip Vs. hauling line…less energy is expende.

Natefeeshes884

Freshly Spawned
I personally think switch rods / spey rods are overkill for beach fishing. Puget Sound in general, but beaches overall. While you can do it, landing a fish on a longer rod is a pain. I've done it with 11' rods and I don't really cast any further than my 6wt 9' beach rod. For stripping and landing a fish the single handers work great. I think most of it is personal preference, so I'm not going to say people shouldn't use a switch/surf/spey rod on the beach. But for me I don't see any significant advantage over a standard single handed rod. But I do know how to cast both, a long way, so i might be biased!

Cheers!
Thank you for the info Bill, I am definitely still on the fence. Although I think part of me just thinks swinging a two handed rod looks like a great time haha.

Natefeeshes884

Freshly Spawned
Nate, go over to the Washington Flyfishing blog. Search for "Let's Talk Two Handed Beach Rods "...Wetswinger, Jan. 26, 2020..we had a long in-depth discussion on this subject. This was before we all left and came over to this, our favorite site. I'm a big fan of 2-hand beach rod fishing.
Wow. Loads of great information in there. Will be visiting that page again for sure... Also definitely getting a headache learning all the specifics, especially about the different lines haha. Thank you!!

flybill

Life of the Party
Thank you for the info Bill, I am definitely still on the fence. Although I think part of me just thinks swinging a two handed rod looks like a great time haha.
I agree, it's fun and I've done it.. just not my personal favorite way to do it! If you've got room to overhead it, it does give you a bit more distance! Cheers!

onefish

Steelhead
I see lots of guys beach fishing here on the island with switch rods, I am one of them. I get more distance with less effort and much less wear and tear on my body with my switch rod. My two switch rods are a 5/6 11 foot TCX and an old 8wt 10ft RPL that I converted to a switch rod. The converted rod ended up at 10 foot 6 which I find to be a better fishing length than my 11 footer.
On the beach I use my switch rods for overhead casting not spey casting.

_WW_

Geriatric Skagit Swinger
Forum Supporter
A note about the designated rod weights which you may already know. A switch rod is going to be between 2 or 3 single hand rod weights heavier. A 5/6 switch will be similar to a 7/8 single hander.

SurfnFish

Legend
Forum Supporter
My fave switch for years was an early model Beulah 11' 9wt.
At the very beginning of fall run King season, when they were still nosing in and out of the rivermouth from the ocean, would air down the tires on my 4x4 and drive to the rivermouth and jack casts with a Rio Outbound Short. Could be a lotta casts between grabs, worth it for what were red hot fish.
As the fished moved into tidewater and settled in until first rains, switched to a Cortland Clear Camo intermediate for effortless anchored skiff casting.
When tidewater fishing was over, would switch to a 540 gr. Scandi Short Spey line for upriver(s) Kings and later on winter steelhead.
Call Beulah, talk to them about rods and matching lines...

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Definetly the switch is easier in the body. Like the switch around 11’ -11’6” , my personal opinion. But I usually use it on certain sizeable rivers. I’m with FlyBill I find the 6 and 7 weight 9 footers cover most everything here on PNW beaches. There are times for other rods of different lengths and I understand that. Sometimes a 6 or 7 weight 9’6” or 10’ rod lends some advantage in certain situations.