Gales Creek Fishing Report

I have herd my grandpa mention this creek by name once or twice in the past. This past Sunday I decided to check it out. I started off my day at the Pacific Arboretum. It's a dirt pull over on the side of highway with enough room to fit one car parked parallel with the road. I would keep nothing in my car incase of highway theft. The only way you would know the name of this place is by looking at a map online, otherwise you will drive right by it. There is also a bridge near by they has been taged quite a bit. There is a old dirt walkway that looks like it has not been maintained in years. It took a lot of bush wacking to find the water. I had to carefully go down a small cliff to access the water. The water was extremely low and I had to walk for about a half a hour, down the large creek to find a whole that was about two feet deep and may hold a fish. I fished four holes in about a three quarter mile distance and saw no signs of fish. Finally after two hours of searching, walking, and fishing, I hooked into a steelhead smolt that was about five inches long. After I started walking back to the cliff. I noticed a small two feet deep hold under the bridge below the highway. I tried here for about twenty minutes with no luck. As I was walking back to my car through the forest I here a noise. While I was walking to me car I had the constant feeling that I was being watched. As a packed up my car I walked near the bridge to possibly find a another hole from a birds eye view. I saw a bottle that was in the same spot where I was fishing that was not there before. I jumped in my car and left. I bet the fishing could be good if you know where to go. If not I would not waste me time here, and would just buy a Washington license because they have way more fishing opportunities open year round that are close to Portland. Good luck!

RRSmith

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Your problem will be finding streams in Oregon that are open for trout fishing after October 31. I'm on the coast so my favorite cutthroat waters will be closed until May. Dammit...

PhilR

IDK Man
Forum Supporter
I eye that water on my way to the coast in the winter, and see what a trickle it becomes in the summer.

TicTokCroc

Sunkist and Sudafed
Forum Supporter
I live real close to there. We had a horse fornicator in the area but I think they caught him, trail cams, candy bar wrappers... I would of been hauling ass outa there if there was a candy bar wrapper where I was just standing.