For Euro Folks Only

longputt

Steelhead
I had mentioned that we were Euro fishing in the 1960s...before Euro was Euro! Here's my reel from those days: BTW we typically used our 8 foot fiberglass rods to flip or drop the fly where we wanted. In those days we caught numerous 30" plus "dollies", a smoker full of whitefish and a few cutthroat. Today those rivers still have the fish, they are clearly visible, but are managed as CLOSED WATERS by WDFW.

1666058204417.png

1666058237036.png1666058204417.png1666058237036.png

Last edited:

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
That's great. I'm not the only one! I had a similar setup with the same reel. Nice thing about the Progress is with the click off it works like a centerpin for running a bobber rig too. My Progress is now quite clean.

longputt

Steelhead
If you look closely we peened the spool to stop the spool from loosening. Somewhere in those years I switched to a Pflueger 1494 1/2 and once I saved enough for spools this reel was retired. I also have 1494 1/2 spool filled with mono from that era!

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
If you look closely we peened the spool to stop the spool from loosening. Somewhere in those years I switched to a Pflueger 1494 1/2 and once I saved enough for spools this reel was retired. I also have 1494 1/2 spool filled with mono from that era!
Wow, parallel worlds. When I'd earned enough mowing lawns and making cotton candy and popcorn at the seattle center (1976), I got a 1495. Floating line, a fast sink, and a spool for mono also.