Flying Ants - the flies you don't need until you do.

Bakerite

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
It's happened to me twice lately Ira. That time on Anthony, it was pretty much every cast. The had just stocked "trophies" and they seemed to be milling in one area, so cast, let sink, set hook, release, repeat. The other time was fishing a friend's private pond. about 1/2 acre stocked with 300 fish all 16-18", some steelhead the others Kamloops. He fed them pellets when he was there. Clear water and when a fly hit the water you could watch every fish in the charge your fly, usually 2-4. I like the Owyhee during the pmd's, or the Henry's fork in the evening rise to whatever. If you have the right fly, make the right presentation, with the right timing you will probably get bit, but it isn't too easy....

krusty

We're on the Road to Nowhere...
Forum Supporter
I don’t ever imagine I will be bored of catching fish!
I've had a few days when they were hitting so heavy I spent time switching to all sorts of very different patterns/presentations, and found they were going after most anything.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I've had a few days when they were hitting so heavy I spent time switching to all sorts of very different patterns/presentations, and found they were going after most anything.
I’m not saying that I don’t switch things up to keep it interesting, but bored? Not in my wheel house!

Old Man

Just a useless Old Man.
Forum Legend
I had a good day on a small lake in Skagit Co. I was trolling and not having much luck. But I noticed fish rising and rowed over that area. I had on a March Brown and was casting to the rings. Cast out a catch a fish. release it and cast to another ring. Catch that one and repeat. That lasted about an hour. I don't get that a lot of times, but when I do it's tons of fun.

fkajwg

formerly known as ...
Forum Supporter
I was fishing Leech lake once and catching fish taking Callibaetis mayfly emerger patterns consistently, then it shut down even though mayflys were still emerging and fish wer still taking something at the surface. Maddening!!!

So I caught a fish on a leech and sampled the gullet and it was full of tiny winged black ant or maybe wasp things.

So, they would even select for those when larger mayflies that they normally like were available.

Jay

I did not have any black fly tiny enough to match but did get something when I switched to a small black parachute Adams,drowned...

Zak

Legend
I was fishing Leech lake once and catching fish taking Callibaetis mayfly emerger patterns consistently, then it shut down even though mayflys were still emerging and fish wer still taking something at the surface. Maddening!!!

So I caught a fish on a leech and sampled the gullet and it was full of tiny winged black ant or maybe wasp things.

So, they would even select for those when larger mayflies that they normally like were available.

Jay

I did not have any black fly tiny enough to match but did get something when I switched to a small black parachute Adams,drowned...
I saw an oldtimer trim a Royal Wulff down to a very respectable drowned flying ant. He cut off the tail, left just a few fibers of hackle for legs and only one white wingpost.

Eastside

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I do 90% of my lake fishing with wet flies. But I always keep a few flying ant dries in my lake box along some callibaetis and some caddis. An ant fall brings every fish to the top of the lake and they are pretty selective. I've had some amazing May days fishing black flying ants during ant falls on Prices Lake and Cascade Lake in WA and on Glimpse Lake in BC. I've seen the biggest ant falls in May but sometimes they swarm in the fall as well.

Flying ants are easy to imitate. I use Steve Raymond's pattern. Two balls of black polypro dubbing on a size 10-12 hook and a sparse deer hair wing. Put floatant on the wing and the fly floats flush in the surface just like the real thing. I also tuck a few flying termites into my box. They have a dubbed amber polypro body. The patterns below have deer hair wings with the exception of the top fly which has a cul de canard wing.

View attachment 5245

Anyone else fish flying ants?
Not to this point but I will tie and fish these patterns. Last summer on a lake with a flying ant hatch and my foam ants wouldn’t get a sniff. Your patterns could be dressed with floatant to lie on their sides like the naturals.