Flyfishing inshore Kona

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
Where the milk fish was caught is mauna Lani, which he admitted is closed.
I took it that he was fishing the beach at the Mauna Lani Ponds area, not the actual ponds. He got a shark first, which I doubt would be in the ponds. He did post a follow up picture of fishing a pond, when talking about how these types of ponds ought to be open, but I assumed that was the pond over in Hilo (that is actually open if I read his post correctly).

I have fished this area of Kona a few times, and there are numerous resort ponds near the beaches that I fished. Seems like every big resort hotel has a fish pond out near the beach. There's a couple at A-Bay but I think that is a different spot form Mauna Lani. I didn't fish the ponds but they are tempting when you see fish cruising in there.

Maybe Mems can clear it up for us.

andy

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
I took it that he was fishing the beach at the Mauna Lani Ponds area, not the actual ponds. He got a shark first, which I doubt would be in the ponds. He did post a follow up picture of fishing a pond, when talking about how these types of ponds ought to be open, but I assumed that was the pond over in Hilo (that is actually open if I read his post correctly).

I have fished this area of Kona a few times, and there are numerous resort ponds near the beaches that I fished. Seems like every big resort hotel has a fish pond out near the beach. There's a couple at A-Bay but I think that is a different spot form Mauna Lani. I didn't fish the ponds but they are tempting when you see fish cruising in there.

Maybe Mems can clear it up for us.

andy
The bay where the shark was caught is very much open to fishing. The ponds (where there are loads of milk fish and mullet) are not.

Merle

Roy’s cousin
Forum Supporter
The bay where the shark was caught is very much open to fishing. The ponds (where there are loads of milk fish and mullet) are not.
Agreed 100%. I'm just trying to give Mems the benefit of the doubt in case his wording in the report was misleading. I thought the milkfish and mullet were also caught in the bay while fishing for bones.

Hopefully he chimes in and clarifies.

andy

Jim F.

Still a Genuine Montana Fossil
Yeah, a lot of conclusion jumping go on. Worth asking for clarification - but jumping to "you are a poacher" is pretty bizarre.
Agreed.