Florida

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Went this past June. Awesome time but the weather and humidity is a lot to deal with. But when ocean or pool side it’s much nicer 😃 . Didn’t take any fishing gear this past time. And I will be going there June 24’. And perhaps, and most likely in 25-26 too. My daughter has a year end tournament in Orlando every year. So we are already set on Vero Beach this time for the pre-functionary tournament stay which will lend me two days of fly fishing from that beach area. Most likely be a 5-6 hour chunk in the am or pm. Probably am.
Snook is the target plus anything else. Reading more about it all the time. So I have my Alaskan salmon 9 weight Sage XP which will be fine but also looking at beefed up rod….reading that tarpon is a possible target among many other species. So aiming at an 11 weight fly rod… asking early because I’m in no rush to buy but would like to grab one if a good deal presents itself. What is a good casting 11 weight from the beach. Double digit weight rods not my thing. So to give you an idea I was looking at echo boost blue… but then thinking three years down there maybe Axiom IIX but saw TFO came out with the Blitz recently??? Be keeping an eye on older xi3’s and Meridians. But anything else to look for?

Thanks

Evan B

Bobber Downey Jr.
Staff member
Admin
Well you posted this in the Dirt Bags forum. You wanting fly rod suggestions or something more scandalous?

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Went this past June. Awesome time but the weather and humidity is a lot to deal with. But when ocean or pool side it’s much nicer 😃 . Didn’t take any fishing gear this past time. And I will be going there June 24’. And perhaps, and most likely in 25-26 too. My daughter has a year end tournament in Orlando every year. So we are already set on Vero Beach this time for the pre-functionary tournament stay which will lend me two days of fly fishing from that beach area. Most likely be a 5-6 hour chunk in the am or pm. Probably am.
Snook is the target plus anything else. Reading more about it all the time. So I have my Alaskan salmon 9 weight Sage XP which will be fine but also looking at beefed up rod….reading that tarpon is a possible target among many other species. So aiming at an 11 weight fly rod… asking early because I’m in no rush to buy but would like to grab one if a good deal presents itself. What is a good casting 11 weight from the beach. Double digit weight rods not my thing. So to give you an idea I was looking at echo boost blue… but then thinking three years down there maybe Axiom IIX but saw TFO came out with the Blitz recently??? Be keeping an eye on older xi3’s and Meridians. But anything else to look for?

Thanks

Are there any canals in that area that have peacock bass in them?
SF

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Are there any canals in that area that have peacock bass in them?
SF
I’m still researching the area and it sounds like lots of fishing opportunities …from where we will be staying, on the beach, it appears June is a good time for snook. Perhaps some smaller tarpon and red trout. I was planning on footing it. Don’t want to pack a bunch of gear. Two rods/ two reels/flies/wet wade. I’m sure I’ll hit up a local shop and get some flies and an ounce of intel.

IMG_3202.png

wmelton

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
You will have no problem finding snook on the beach. Walk a few feet up on the sand, they will be tucked in really close. I always have more luck around sunrise/sunset than any specific tide, but they're around all day. I prefer a 7wt, as they're really spooky. A light line like SA Bonefish is a must, or maybe even cortland clear. I am not familiar with that specific area, but in general I would say you will have a really tough time finding trout, tarpon, or redfish on foot unless you fish the canals where you could find just about anything. A 9wt should be plenty of rod, I wouldn't worry about bringing an 11. If you are able to access a kayak you'll have many more options.

As for the Axiom IIx, it is my favorite rod I have ever casted at saltwater fish. I have it in a 8wt and plan on getting it in an 11. The blitz is intriguing, but I am too in love with the IIx to stray.

Porter2

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Already told the wife I’ll need a bigger rod for Florida and she agreed …so let’s try to stay focused and concentrate on the 11 weight. 😜. The bigger my quiver the more options I’ll have. 😉