Float Tube Safety

Stonedfish

Known Grizzler-hater of triploids, humpies & ND
Forum Supporter
Re-reviving this thread with "thread drift" -
Both my pant waders and chest waders come with neoprene (stretchy, very stretchy) wading belts that aren't very tight (I can pull my pant waders down to pee without undoing the belt and the belt is stretched to the max). I'm curious about wading belts for skinny old farts. Amazon seems to offer wading belts that look like something a lineman uses.

@jaredoconnor time for you to update your float tube experience. (Ps. I float tube alone often and worry more about car breakins than drowing, never without wearing my NRS Chinook PFD)

Pat,
I’ve got extra multiple stretchy wading belts that can be adjust size wise. They work for both old fat and skinny farts. 😂
I personally like the stretchy belts.
If you’d like one, just let me know and I’ll ship you one.
SF

Divad

Whitefish
I wear 33x34 pants but not exactly an old fart. My favorite are the thick ones that come off the Orvis Pros. You can buy it from Orvis for $26 (w/ discount).

It’s slightly elastic but not so much, much stiffer than the Simms offering and I hang a hip pack with water, fly box etc off it a lot.

Tom Butler

Grandpa, Small Stream Fanatic
Forum Supporter
Is it comfort or safety? I have done the practice " fall in, fill the waders in the water", lake and stream, a few times now. I noticed the water pretty much keeps the waders against the body, and the belt slowed airs upward escape slightly, not a lot to keep it out. Keeping the top snug is the key to water entry, not the waist belt, in my opinion.
I'm with ya' though, I'm #155 and a 33" waist. No wader belt ever seems to hit in the right spot, and certainly doesn't help keep them up, I count on the shoulder straps.
I hate the stretchy belts. They are useless for hanging things off (water bottle, bear spray, etc). If you look for nylon security guard belts, on Amazon, there are a million choices.

I haven’t been able to use my tube yet. The old ball and chain made me promise to get some projects done first, but we have been permanently sick since my daughter started daycare. Progress has been painfully slow. Doesn’t help that I completely f****ed the final coat on our dining table and had to start all over again. 😭
Welcome to parent hood Jared. While it's special now it does get better!
I wear a loaded vest, and stuff a few things in the pockets (the escape wader pocket is watertight for a test dip anyways). I was testing a net hip belt attachment for someone and my first report back was "it doesn't work on stretchy wading belts".

Brian Miller

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting Cutthwoat Twout
Forum Supporter
Re-reviving this thread with "thread drift" -
Both my pant waders and chest waders come with neoprene (stretchy, very stretchy) wading belts that aren't very tight (I can pull my pant waders down to pee without undoing the belt and the belt is stretched to the max). I'm curious about wading belts for skinny old farts. Amazon seems to offer wading belts that look like something a lineman uses.

@jaredoconnor time for you to update your float tube experience. (Ps. I float tube alone often and worry more about car breakins than drowing, never without wearing my NRS Chinook PFD)
It's been a tough year medically for staying fit and I could stand to shed about 10#. But when I go in for my Dr appointments now the Doc's notes usually say something like "well nourished" or "weight-height appropriate" rather than "fat" 😏 . Oh well...

So I'm not a skinny old fart but I found the inexpensive (<$6 on base) DLATS 1 3/4" riggers belt (plastic buckle with velcro, for ACUs - not a heavy "gun belt") works great. I keep a Leatherman Wave+ on it and for streams I also carry the pouch for my Riversticks staff. Yes, nylon on nylon waders can slip a little but it's very quick & easy to cinch it up tight.
1697388774079.png
And the newer style AR 670-1 belt $14 (on base) with velcro on the end won't slip at all once it's tight.
1697388684479.png

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I bought this belt from Amazon this spring for use with my pant waders and chest waders on my pontoon. I'm not a fan of the stretchy belts or the thin Simms belts. I've been really happy this belt. The buckle if sturdy and the belt material is more flexible that a lot of stiffer 2" duty belts. The easy velcro size adjustment is handy for fishing the day after a big holiday meal!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
Pat,
I’ve got extra multiple stretchy wading belts that can be adjust size wise. They work for both old fat and skinny farts. 😂
I personally like the stretchy belts.
If you’d like one, just let me know and I’ll ship you one.
SF
Thanks Brian - I appreciate the offer. I think I'm going to try a non-stretchy one first.

Thanks everyone!!

@jaredoconnor - sick baby, day care - our grandkids (ages four and six) are always bringing something home. Take care of your little one!

wanderingrichard

Life of the Party
I use an older version of this that was gifted to me years ago. Taking a tip from an old Alaskan guide friend, I also take the belt that's sometimes included with a new set of waders and cinch it up higher around my chest so I have two holding things closed. Saved me from drowning in front of the Hoodsport hatchery one year.

Jeff Dodd

Steelhead
Great thread @jaredoconnor. Hope your friend overcomes his concern so he can enjoy our local Stillwaters. Lots of great information and funny antidotes 😂 from the group. I was laughing out loud at 3:30am.

I’m headed to Dry Falls this weekend with my Jon boat. Bringing and wearing my new Mustang pfd., especially important as waters cool. I’m going solo and while I have a ladder for my bay boats, I’ve never added one to my prams. I’ll be thinking about how to add a rope ladder this winter.

Have a safe Fall/winter season!

I purchased this pfd in spring. It’s comfortable and has added buoyancy with an inflater.

IMG_3422.jpeg

Last edited: