Fishin’ Buddy users—what does it mean?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Sorry, another question. I have a Humminbird FB 120 that I’ve been working with. I’m always trying to get better at using it to locate fish beyond bottom contours, temperature, and guessing what the hell the fish are doing and where they are. I was playing around with the sensitivity setting yesterday. Cranked all the way up, in various places around the lake I saw a faint line at about 9 feet down. I interpreted that as the thermocline and/or daphnia. At certain places and points I tried to fish around that level, or just under it, figuring maybe it would trap chironomids trying to ascend or maybe fish would be cruising under it. I caught one fish, and it was about that level. But one fish could be a fluke.
That isn’t the question though. I had the fish alarm set to beep on the big fish setting. I’d be sitting on anchor and the return would be flat and it would beep. Should I interpret that as a fish just swam under the beam?

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
Good question. I don’t use the alarm on mine, but given no other movement and it goes off as you described, I would assume it was a fish for no other reason than “Why Not”. It could be something else, but I’m certainly going to pack that information away as something to explore, especially if it happens again.

Have you also explored with the side finder?

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but you’re not likely to have a thermocline until summer. This time of year the water column, at least the upper 30’ of it should be pretty well mixed in western WA lakes. Sometimes it’s the upper layer that gets cold and sinks.

Now daphnia clouds are absolutely a possibility. But cranking the sensitivity might start showing stuff that isn’t there, kinda like cranking the gain on a guitar amp and getting feedback. A major limitation of the fishin’ buddy finders is a narrow down-looking cone. I don’t recall the specifics but the practical result is I don’t trust it to mark fish in less than 15’ of water. I also don’t trust it to mark small fish. I still use it to find structure and identify productive contours at all depths. And when the chironomids are coming off in 20+’ it’s a great tool!

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Good question. I don’t use the alarm on mine, but given no other movement and it goes off as you described, I would assume it was a fish for no other reason than “Why Not”. It could be something else, but I’m certainly going to pack that information away as something to explore, especially if it happens again.

Have you also explored with the side finder?
It was beeping rather frequently, on anchor in one particular spot. If that was fish, I was in the right spot but not holding my mouth right. Dang.
I have used the side finder and do use it but it picks up floating weed chunks a lot. If there are any, it finds them. I’ve used it to good effect maybe a couple times. Thursday, I didn’t think fish were up in the water column so I ended up turning it off. Tips?

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
Somebody correct me if I’m wrong but you’re not likely to have a thermocline until summer. This time of year the water column, at least the upper 30’ of it should be pretty well mixed in western WA lakes. Sometimes it’s the upper layer that gets cold and sinks.

Now daphnia clouds are absolutely a possibility. But cranking the sensitivity might start showing stuff that isn’t there, kinda like cranking the gain on a guitar amp and getting feedback. A major limitation of the fishin’ buddy finders is a narrow down-looking cone. I don’t recall the specifics but the practical result is I don’t trust it to mark fish in less than 15’ of water. I also don’t trust it to mark small fish. I still use it to find structure and identify productive contours at all depths. And when the chironomids are coming off in 20+’ it’s a great tool!
The fuzzy “line” was at a consistent depth at different parts of the lake. About 8 or 9 feet down. It wasn’t showing everywhere, but it was showing multiple places.

Can you elaborate a little about the deep chiros? Is that to find suspended fish?

Lue Taylor

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
There's this one lake mine shows depth being 160 ft in certain spots which the lake is no more than 30 ft if that in places to maybe an under water power cable.

troutpocket

Stillwater strategist
Forum Supporter
The fuzzy “line” was at a consistent depth at different parts of the lake. About 8 or 9 feet down. It wasn’t showing everywhere, but it was showing multiple places.

Can you elaborate a little about the deep chiros? Is that to find suspended fish?
I wonder if the fuzzy line showed up in a large range of depths? Like did you see it when you were in 10 feet and 30+’?

About those deep fish…yes I use the info to mark fish on deep flats. When there are acres of deep water with bugs coming up it’s a big confidence booster to mark fish under the boat. I gain trust in the information through many outings.

Matt B

RAMONES
Forum Supporter
I wonder if the fuzzy line showed up in a large range of depths? Like did you see it when you were in 10 feet and 30+’?

About those deep fish…yes I use the info to mark fish on deep flats. When there are acres of deep water with bugs coming up it’s a big confidence booster to mark fish under the boat. I gain trust in the information through many outings.
The lake is a bowl with the deepest parts at 20-22’. I saw the fuzzy line with gain cranked in places 15’ or deeper I guess. There aren’t many spots on this lake that are 10’ deep. There is a 12-14’ flat and I spent the most time around that and its drop-off but I tried other spots and depths too.

Haggis57

Steelhead
Forum Supporter
I also always leave the alarm off on my FB120. I find I get the most consistent display with sensitivity in the 3 to 6 range. Most of my use is for depth and structure. I have had occasional success with the side sonar. Unfortunately the narrow beam angles limits it's utility for displaying fish in less than 20 ft of water.

Ken

1c3.JPG

Old406Kid

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I also always leave the alarm off on my FB120. I find I get the most consistent display with sensitivity in the 3 to 6 range. Most of my use is for depth and structure. I have had occasional success with the side sonar. Unfortunately the narrow beam angles limits it's utility for displaying fish in less than 20 ft of water.

Ken

View attachment 4803
Thanks for posting the chart!!!

Buzzy

I prefer to call them strike indicators.
Forum Supporter
You're welcome. I actually took a label maker and added a label to the screen frame with the cone diameter at 15 ft depth. Helps me keep my expectations in line from year to year!
Ditto Dean's comment, thanks for the chart. I have the 140C and mostly use mine to chart bottom depth and structure, but I do rotate the transducer from side to side to scan what might be out there. Sometimes I will spot fish other than where I'm fishing and be able to hook fish I otherwise might not have.

Irafly

Life of the Party
Forum Supporter
I use the side finder with success on a regular basis. I don’t trust it when it is pointing towards shore, but when I’m trolling slow away from shore and it starts to mark fish, I pay attention.